More Negativity about XFL St. Louis

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
Quarterback

More Negativity about XFL St. Louis

Post by GDAWG » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:20 pm

QUESTION: How would a successful XFL and MLS franchise affect the sports scene here? Would the Blues or Cardinals feel an economic hit from fans and corporations choosing the new teams over them?

BENFRED: There's only so many sports entertainment dollars to capitalize on. The Blues and Cardinals are very much backing and supporting MLS. XFL is the outsider, and no one seems to be too worried about losing $$$ to it at the moment.

When's the last time you saw the Cardinals, Blues or MLS crowd promote XFL? It's on its own in STL. That, of course, would have been another reason to hire someone as a coach who bridged the gap, a guy like Isaac Bruce who got a great ovation at the hockey game.

But hey, what do I know?
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/will-ml ... 94104.html

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Re: More Negativity about XFL St. Louis

Post by MikeMitchell » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:32 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:20 pm
QUESTION: How would a successful XFL and MLS franchise affect the sports scene here? Would the Blues or Cardinals feel an economic hit from fans and corporations choosing the new teams over them?

BENFRED: There's only so many sports entertainment dollars to capitalize on. The Blues and Cardinals are very much backing and supporting MLS. XFL is the outsider, and no one seems to be too worried about losing $$$ to it at the moment.

When's the last time you saw the Cardinals, Blues or MLS crowd promote XFL? It's on its own in STL. That, of course, would have been another reason to hire someone as a coach who bridged the gap, a guy like Isaac Bruce who got a great ovation at the hockey game.

But hey, what do I know?
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/will-ml ... 94104.html
Kind of an indictment on St. Louis more than anything else. People feel that St. Louis is not a real football city. That they are really just fair weather fans. Real football fans don’t want someone who has never coached on any level, to be the head coach of a football team.

dcbhoops
Kicker

Post by dcbhoops » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:30 pm

It's just one person's opinion. Not a big deal. It takes just as much energy to be an optimist as it does to be a pessimist. ;)

Actually, it reminds me of the "St. Louis is a baseball town" rhetoric we heard when the Rams first came to St. Louis.

MLS is more of a known commodity, so it's easy for the Cards & Blues to promote it. By contrast, the XFL is relatively new, and is still building out its infrastructure.

And here's one BIG thing to remember - the Blues are in the Stanley Cup Finals! This city is TOTALLY focused on their unprecedented Stanley Cup run right now. So is the local sports media. That means the XFL won't get much love here for the time being.

However, once St. Louis and the other XFL cities receive their team names & colors, and the Stanley Cup Finals are no longer dominating the headlines, I think things will start to change. It'll be easier for fans to rally around their new team. And then the local sports media will hop on board.

SIDE NOTE: Now that former San Antonio Commanders (AAF) head coach Mike Riley has been hired as offensive coordinator for XFL Seattle, I wonder if XFL St. Louis is considering Mike Martz as its offensive coordinator. Or if he's interested in the job.

SamTheRam28
Running Back

Post by SamTheRam28 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:41 pm

dcbhoops wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:30 pm
It's just one person's opinion. Not a big deal. It takes just as much energy to be an optimist as it does to be a pessimist. ;)

Actually, it reminds me of the "St. Louis is a baseball town" rhetoric we heard when the Rams first came to St. Louis.

MLS is more of a known commodity, so it's easy for the Cards & Blues to promote it. By contrast, the XFL is relatively new, and is still building out its infrastructure.

And here's one BIG thing to remember - the Blues are in the Stanley Cup Finals! This city is TOTALLY focused on their unprecedented Stanley Cup run right now. So is the local sports media. That means the XFL won't get much love here for the time being.

However, once St. Louis and the other XFL cities receive their team names & colors, and the Stanley Cup Finals are no longer dominating the headlines, I think things will start to change. It'll be easier for fans to rally around their new team. And then the local sports media will hop on board.

SIDE NOTE: Now that former San Antonio Commanders (AAF) head coach Mike Riley has been hired as offensive coordinator for XFL Seattle, I wonder if XFL St. Louis is considering Mike Martz as its offensive coordinator. Or if he's interested in the job.
All good points.

But for the side note, Hayes will probably find another brother or maybe a cousin to give the offensive coordinator job to. :lol:
St. Louis Stallions

johnnyangryfuzzball
Running Back

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:20 pm

It's funny that they already have the XFL team in St. Louis and yet they're paying more attention to the hypothetical MLS team that may or may not arrive.

GDAWG
Quarterback

Post by GDAWG » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:42 pm

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:20 pm
It's funny that they already have the XFL team in St. Louis and yet they're paying more attention to the hypothetical MLS team that may or may not arrive.
Probably because MLS is an established league. MLS recently announced expansion to 30 teams and St. Louis is certain to be announced as an expansion team alongside Sacramento. Rumor is that an announcement might be made during the week of the MLS All Star Game next month. St. Louis has everything in place for MLS expansion, as does Sacramento. St. Louis has the Taylor Family (Enterprise Rent-A-Car) leading their ownership group and the MLS stadium they have planned will not use public funding. Sacramento recently added billionaire Ron Burkle, who acquired Sacramento Republic FC and the land where the stadium is going to be.

So a St. Louis MLS team is going to happen.

steinerfhc
Running Back

Post by steinerfhc » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:50 pm

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:20 pm
Well when you have local ties in the MLS project and the league itself is way more established. Even now MLS is backseated, it's all on the Blues now since they are a win away from the FIRST championship in team history. This is why I said all along for the XFL to work, they HAVE to get people involved that fans have a clue on what they are.

The local media gave the XFL attention when we found out about the team and when they announced the head coach. However everything about the XFL team itself has been so underwhelming. Nobody football fans now would have a clue about unless you in your 50s or older. That why as much people talk about to gimmickly if lets say Bruce was called for head coach, He would be drawn way more attention and you do want that. So really until you do something that creates a splash, it going to have an uphill battle. The XFL has to establish itself as a legit league and not a one and done. They have to prove to the fans that your better than the 2001 disaster.

To sell tickets, there are plenty of fans who are just sports fans and St. Louis does get behind there teams. However you need to make yourself known. That's why the MLS project got so much steam because they promoted themselves. Held rallys and events. Make noise locally. The XFL needs to do that, they need to make a noise you know a "Hey look at us." Not everyone loves Hockey or Soccer. You can get those legit football fans in the stadium but you gotta sell it to them. Right now you have a team full of borderline unknowns to the local fan base. So right now the XFL set themselves up for failure in this market so far. Of course it can change but they need to really do something to turn the heads.

The Blues play there final game for the season tomorrow. Now if they win the cup you will have a long celebration, once that dies down. The Cardinals are not doing that great, Late June they really need to do something to remind us that the XFL is here. Gotta create some buzz. MLS group have done that.

Sounder
Quarterback

Post by Sounder » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:17 pm

And if the Blues lose......and it's likely they will........maybe the XFL gains from that. I have stressed here before the importance of establishing your fan base......... and allowing locals to develop a relationship and to make it matter. This is "alternative".....not minor league football ...... let's get that straight. The championship of spring will matter. No it's not NFL......buy yourself a Clydesdales jersey (if they ever come out)......and you'll be the coolest guy in town and everybody will want one. An aggressive radio and tv ad blitz even during the NFL season would surely get the word out......and I don't mean just on Raw and Smackdown in fact......I wouldn't promote the league on those wrestling shows at all.......must disconnect from sports entertainment and let people know this is real.

Sounder
Quarterback

Post by Sounder » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:53 pm

Just wanna say that I'm happy to announce that I thought wrong..... the St. Louis Blues actually came through in a situation where I was absolutely convinced it was going the Bruin's way......given that Boston teams win everything right?.....NOT THIS TIME,!!!!
Congratulations for St. Louis. THIS could be good for the XFL.

johnnyangryfuzzball
Running Back

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:55 pm

Sounder wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:53 pm
Just wanna say that I'm happy to announce that I thought wrong..... the St. Louis Blues actually came through in a situation where I was absolutely convinced it was going the Bruin's way......given that Boston teams win everything right?.....NOT THIS TIME,!!!!
Congratulations for St. Louis. THIS could be good for the XFL.
Or it could be bad. Usually alternative leagues succeed when the mainstream competition is an abysmal failure, as sports fans desperately look for something to believe in.

Of all the teams in the XFL, St. Louis is the one I want to succeed the most, but this win means that they'll be competing for dollars with a Stanley Cup champion. Given the choice between a Stanley Cup champion and what appears at this point to be the worst team in a second-rate league, which one do you think is going to draw more fans?