GDAWG
Quarterback

Re: BigPlay.com Podcast with Oliver Luck tonight

Post by GDAWG » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:30 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:29 pm
Tank55 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:48 pm
Bruce would be a terrible choice, IMO. We talk all the time about the XFL needs to focus on the XFL and not define itself by its relationship with the NFL. Hiring someone whose primary qualification is that he's a former Ram runs completely counter to that. If the XFL can't kill it in St. Louis without resorting to a -- yes -- gimmick like that, they should close up shop now and save some money.

I get the appeal. He's extremely well-spoken, comes across as very serious and thoughtful (something the XFL can't get enough of, IMO), and is beloved in the city. If you can find a role for him that he's qualified for, that would be awesome. But you can't stress how seriously you're going to take the quality of play and then hire someone with zero experience to be your head coach.
I get it. So who do you interview and hire for the job. A name like Haslett is not going to draw fans to games
At this rate, it may be one of the consultants that they have like John Fox.

steinerfhc
Receiver

Post by steinerfhc » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:58 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Bruce would be a terrible choice, IMO. We talk all the time about the XFL needs to focus on the XFL and not define itself by its relationship with the NFL. Hiring someone whose primary qualification is that he's a former Ram runs completely counter to that. If the XFL can't kill it in St. Louis without resorting to a -- yes -- gimmick like that, they should close up shop now and save some money.

I get the appeal. He's extremely well-spoken, comes across as very serious and thoughtful (something the XFL can't get enough of, IMO), and is beloved in the city. If you can find a role for him that he's qualified for, that would be awesome. But you can't stress how seriously you're going to take the quality of play and then hire someone with zero experience to be your head coach.
Honestly you never know what he can do until you try. All head coaches at any level starts some where and experience doesn't mean success. The thing is when you start a league, how do you sell tickets? When you know the roster is going to be full of mostly unknowns, the thing about is that the AAF who almost was in St. Louis too was going to bring him in as the coach, there has to be something there if when you look at that league and who they brought in that they considered him. There is a part of me who wants him as the guy and I get what you are saying and if not the head coach why not have him as the assistant or WR coach. I have no reason to believe he wouldn't make a good coach. The appeal that he was loved here and yes comes off as a well spoken, and very smart. Which I think is a good reason as coach that he can communicate with the players on the team.

When you look at guys who have some kind of connection to the city. You want someone who is looked at in a positive light. That a short list for St. Louis of people that are available. The way the XFL can kill it before it starts in St. Louis would be Jeff Fisher. This goes back to what I said about experience, this guy brought the Titians to the Super Bowl. On paper he seemed like a good choice right? Well we all saw what happened when he came to St. Louis. If you told me pick a coach between Bruce or Fisher regardless if Bruce had no coaching experience and the other once went to the Super Bowl. I and most everyone in St. Louis is picking Bruce any day of the week.

Tank55
Quarterback

Post by Tank55 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:17 pm

Fortunately, the XFL has hundreds of choices outside of Bruce and Fisher.

The hang-wringing about selling tickets is misplaced. The XFL has the weight of the WWE marketing machine at its back. Every one of their markets is going to get a fair shake, which is more than the AAF can say. Long term, the only thing that's going to sustain interest in the league is crisp, interesting, and intra-competitive football.

I'm all for Bruce being a WR coach or having some sort of operations role. I think that would be fantastic.

GDAWG
Quarterback

Post by GDAWG » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:42 am

steinerfhc wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:58 pm
Tank55 wrote:

Honestly you never know what he can do until you try. All head coaches at any level starts some where and experience doesn't mean success. The thing is when you start a league, how do you sell tickets? When you know the roster is going to be full of mostly unknowns, the thing about is that the AAF who almost was in St. Louis too was going to bring him in as the coach, there has to be something there if when you look at that league and who they brought in that they considered him. There is a part of me who wants him as the guy and I get what you are saying and if not the head coach why not have him as the assistant or WR coach. I have no reason to believe he wouldn't make a good coach. The appeal that he was loved here and yes comes off as a well spoken, and very smart. Which I think is a good reason as coach that he can communicate with the players on the team.

When you look at guys who have some kind of connection to the city. You want someone who is looked at in a positive light. That a short list for St. Louis of people that are available. The way the XFL can kill it before it starts in St. Louis would be Jeff Fisher. This goes back to what I said about experience, this guy brought the Titians to the Super Bowl. On paper he seemed like a good choice right? Well we all saw what happened when he came to St. Louis. If you told me pick a coach between Bruce or Fisher regardless if Bruce had no coaching experience and the other once went to the Super Bowl. I and most everyone in St. Louis is picking Bruce any day of the week.
Bruce as a position coach? Sure. But head coach? No. It would be a gimmick and the XFL has said that they want to stay away from that. The XFL has stated that they would hire team presidents, so maybe Bruce becomes Team President of St. Louis XFL?

SamTheRam28
Running Back

Post by SamTheRam28 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:41 am

GDAWG wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:42 am
steinerfhc wrote:
Tank55 wrote:

Bruce as a position coach? Sure. But head coach? No. It would be a gimmick and the XFL has said that they want to stay away from that. The XFL has stated that they would hire team presidents, so maybe Bruce becomes Team President of St. Louis XFL?
That actually could be great for Bruce. Bruce has said his main goal is to some day be an NFL owner, and being a team President could be a great start.
St. Louis Stallions

steinerfhc
Receiver

Post by steinerfhc » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:20 am

GDAWG wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:42 am
steinerfhc wrote:
Tank55 wrote:

I would be fine with Bruce involved in any way possible. Team President honestly would be even better. That's a role that he would be the one doing more of the ambassador like stuff for the team and involve more promoting the team. While who ever the Head coach will do pre and post game interviews but focus more on getting the players ready for the games and recruiting. Bruce is such a good talker and would be perfect for that.