Future XFL Cities- Positives and Negatives

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
Quarterback

Future XFL Cities- Positives and Negatives

Post by GDAWG » Fri May 17, 2019 12:29 pm

I want you guys to name two potential future XFL cities and list the positives and negatives of that city. I have two cities in mind, one that we haven't talked about.

New Orleans- I think New Orleans could be an interesting XFL city. There is little competition, with the NBA's Pelicans. While the Superdome may be too big, Yulman Stadium at Tulane would be perfect as that stadium seats 30,000. New Orleans is also a rabid football city because of the support the Saints get since Drew Brees and Sean Payton arrived.

However, New Orleans is a fairly small market as compared to the rest of the league if they were to enter the XFL. I don't know if the city is on the XFL's radar when it comes time for future expansion. It's the smallest market in the NBA and the second smallest in the NFL.

The Bay Area- Obviously this is where the XFL wanted to go initially. It's a great market for future expansion, no doubt about that. There are plenty of venues available for an XFL Bay Area team.

The one negative is where to play....Oakland, San Francisco or San Jose. Can't go wrong with either city. There is also a lot of competition.

XFL_FAN
Coach

Re: Future XFL Cities- Positives and Negatives

Post by XFL_FAN » Fri May 17, 2019 1:55 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:29 pm
I want you guys to name two potential future XFL cities and list the positives and negatives of that city. I have two cities in mind, one that we haven't talked about.

New Orleans- I think New Orleans could be an interesting XFL city. There is little competition, with the NBA's Pelicans. While the Superdome may be too big, Yulman Stadium at Tulane would be perfect as that stadium seats 30,000. New Orleans is also a rabid football city because of the support the Saints get since Drew Brees and Sean Payton arrived.

However, New Orleans is a fairly small market as compared to the rest of the league if they were to enter the XFL. I don't know if the city is on the XFL's radar when it comes time for future expansion. It's the smallest market in the NBA and the second smallest in the NFL.

The Bay Area- Obviously this is where the XFL wanted to go initially. It's a great market for future expansion, no doubt about that. There are plenty of venues available for an XFL Bay Area team.

The one negative is where to play....Oakland, San Francisco or San Jose. Can't go wrong with either city. There is also a lot of competition.
Indianapolis- It's smack-dab right in the Midwest. Centrally located for Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Kentucky and Wisconsin. It has an indoor stadium, Lucas Oil. And Oliver Luck has undeniable ties to the city.

But it's the 24th largest NFL market, and the 28th largest sports market in the US. It's smaller than the smallest market in the XFL, which is saying something. But who knows? It might just work.

Philadelphia-Only logical to bring in the final NFC East city. Built in rivals to Dallas, DC and NY. They have expressed interest as they were one of the 30 cities to put in an application. I've heard that they pushed hard to get a team but came up just short. Also it's the 4th largest sports market in the US. It's only logical to put a team here.

But we already have the northeast region filled. The XFL needs a Bay Area team, and a more-midwest team than STL. This is an argument against Philly.

Overall I think it will be San Fran and Philly (or a midwest team) for the next two XFL teams (if we get to that point, hopefully.)
Teams I'm Thinking About Rooting For:

1.Dallas
2.DC
3.Houston
4.LA
5.NY
6.Seattle
7.Tampa Bay
8.St. Louis

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Fri May 17, 2019 2:00 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:29 pm

The one negative is where to play....Oakland, San Francisco or San Jose. Can't go wrong with either city.
I like the Bay Area for an XFL team. It’s my #1 choice. The Bay Area works for spring football because of weather and market size. San Fran-Oakland-San Jose is ranked 6th in TV market size, just slightly ahead of DC and Houston. I don’t see the negatives. The city of Oakland is a little shaky when it comes to dealing with their tenants/partners. I’m ok with NFL or college sized stadiums. The league now has a partnership with the President of The 49ers through Elevate Sports Ventures. So San Fran it is, bring back The Demons.

Second choice would be Chicago. Market size, great fans. Good potential rivals for NY, DC and STL. The negatives are weather and finding the right location.

There are so many different layers to this discussion. From location to venue to market size etc.. There’s also the matter of finding the best partners for the league. Cities that will support you the right way and not just treat you like a tenant.

The XFL is going for the big time-from-the-beginning strategy. MLS expansion teams are starting to go this way too. Especially with the success of Seattle and Atlanta. MLS teams would rather draw 25k to 30k in a 60k plus stadium than 10k in a 20k stadium. Perfect marriage is mid range stadiums in that 35 to 50k range. Kind of like where XFL Houston is playing.

I’ll give you an example that ties into the XFL and what’s happening right now with The MLS.

The first place, I think of when it comes to expansion is Chicago. Market size, great fans etc... The problem is twofold, weather and the venue/location.

The Chicago Fire are trying to get out of their stadium lease with SeatGeek stadium. They actually want to go back to Soldier Field. The Fire are willing to pay 60 million to get out of their lease. MLS franchises actually want to be in larger stadiums now. The Fire used to do better attendance wise when they were at Soldier Field. It’s all about location. SeatGeek is located in a community that only has 17,000 residents and the Fire have gone from averaging over 20k to just over 10k now. Venue size is great for an upstart league like the XFL but location is more important. The area SeatGeek is located, is limited.

As for places we haven’t mentioned that much, that are not on the level of Chicago, Philly, Boston, The Bay Area etc... I think of Portland, Columbus, Vegas, North Carolina and Austin. I think that there is room for growth and great potential in those markets.

With the AAF gone. I could see the league going to Orlando if they expand. Good sized market, football friendly state, good venue options, good weather etc

GDAWG
Quarterback

Post by GDAWG » Fri May 17, 2019 2:54 pm

Right now, I don't think the XFL should go international. Mexico has it's share of problems. Sure, Mexico City is an internationally known city, but safety and security issues would prevent the XFL from going there. Europe is more of a logistics issue. As for Canada, I don't think the XFL should go to Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver with the obvious reason being the CFL.

I see that Portland has been mentioned. While it would make a great rivalry with Seattle, the main issue is Providence Park. The MLS Portland Timbers kicked the Portland State Football team out of Providence Park, so they would be reluctant to accept the XFL playing at Providence Park.

Las Vegas could be interesting. It's very likely that Sam Boyd Stadium will be torn down once UNLV moves to the new Raiders Stadium.

If I were the XFL, I'd go for a second Los Angeles team, either in Anaheim or the Inland Empire.

ct82
Rookie

Post by ct82 » Sat May 18, 2019 1:56 pm

Didn’t they trademark a bunch of cities already

Tank55
Quarterback

Post by Tank55 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:10 pm

Yes, they trademarked a bunch of domains before unveiling the initial eight:

https://domainnamewire.com/2018/11/30/xfl-cities/

The list of honorable mentions:

Atlanta
Austin
Chicago
Cleveland
Detroit
Kansas City
Minnesota
Nashville
Orlando
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
San Francisco

My money is on the Bay Area and a midwest city with a dome for teams 9 and 10 -- I'll go with Oakland and Detroit, for the record. No need to rehash old arguments, but I think the league would seriously consider international expansion if they make it to Year 4.

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Sat May 18, 2019 2:23 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:10 pm
Yes, they trademarked a bunch of domains before unveiling the initial eight:

https://domainnamewire.com/2018/11/30/xfl-cities/

The list of honorable mentions:

Atlanta
Austin
Chicago
Cleveland
Detroit
Kansas City
Minnesota
Nashville
Orlando
Philadelphia
Phoenix
Pittsburgh
San Francisco

My money is on the Bay Area and a midwest city with a dome for teams 9 and 10 -- I'll go with Oakland and Detroit, for the record. No need to rehash old arguments, but I think the league would seriously consider international expansion if they make it to Year 4.
Detroit is a great choice. I’ll take Oakland but I have a feeling that San Fran is really in play. I know that The XFL talks with Oakland didn’t go well. They were demanding too much in return and being unreasonable. Perhaps those talks can be revisited. San Fran seems like a logical bet. The league’s partnership with the Niners team president through Elevate doesn’t hurt. The Niners have a great venue and The original XFL did exceedingly well in that market.

Tank55
Quarterback

Post by Tank55 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:34 pm

Yeah, you probably have a better sense of it than I do, but I was under the impression that Oakland was still very much occupied by their tug of war with the Raiders, and that they didn't want to complicate things further with another football team coming in. Isn't the city suing the NFL under antitrust law? That could sort of be undermined if you already have another professional football team as a tenant.

GDAWG
Quarterback

Post by GDAWG » Sat May 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:34 pm
Yeah, you probably have a better sense of it than I do, but I was under the impression that Oakland was still very much occupied by their tug of war with the Raiders, and that they didn't want to complicate things further with another football team coming in. Isn't the city suing the NFL under antitrust law? That could sort of be undermined if you already have another professional football team as a tenant.
Plus we don't know what the plans are for the Coliseum. I hear that the city of Berkeley nearby is opposed to pro football playing at The University of California, so that may be out. San Jose and San Francisco are better options.

The venues would be Levi Stadium and Oracle Park, with CEFCU Stadium in San Jose another option, but that one is fairly old, so I don't know if the XFL would consider it. Avaya Stadium only holds 18,000, but I don't know how it looks as a football venue and the stadium is owned by the MLS Earthquakes, so I don't know if they would be interested in football at their stadium. I don't know if Stanford would be interested.

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Sat May 18, 2019 3:46 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 2:34 pm
That played a factor for sure. The XFL and Oakland were close early on. The city started making silly one sided demands. That led to them not even being on the final list of potential league cities. They can pull that stuff with an NFL team, but it’s kind of unfair with an upstart league. I wouldn’t rule out Oakland and I would love to see a team there. They have to be willing partners though.