Does the Daryl Johnston hire open the door for more hires like him?

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Does the Daryl Johnston hire open the door for more hires like him?

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu May 16, 2019 1:06 pm

One of the prevailing thoughts behind the HC/GM concept in the XFL, is that it was a hook for coaches to be able to pick their own players. Build their own roster in their own image.

The other thought was that it would put the league in a position where they wouldn’t have to pay for two people to assume both roles.

The recent hire of Daryl Johnston as XFL Dallas’s Director of Player Personnel, suggests that despite the head coaches having the GM tag, each of them will have a top executive assisting them in the roster building process. In Johnston’s case. If he’s not number 1 in the process, he’s probably no less than 1A. Johnston is the perfect marriage of doing what’s best for the football and business aspect.

We knew and assumed that each HC/GM would have a small staff of personnel people to assist them. What we didn’t realize was that they would have someone in a high ranking position assisting them in the process. That’s what the Johnston hire represents. You could argue that he’s the de facto GM in that Dallas scenario with Bob Stoops. Let’s face it. Regardless of title, Johnston didn’t take this opportunity to just be a lackey. He’s going to have significant power.

One person who is rumored to be assuming the same type of role in Tampa, is Catherine Raiche. She has a strong background in player personnel in Canada. It stands to reason that if she is on board. That she will assume the same title and role that Moose has in Dallas.

Will the rest of the league’s teams follow suit, and who would be in consideration for those positions?

When considering this, it’s hard not to look directly at who wore the GM hats in the now defunct AAF. The question, I always had in the back of my mind when the AAF folded, was whether their league GM’s would accept a role that wouldn’t give them complete control. Where they are not in the position of being the “Boss”.

Will June Jones appoint someone from his past in the role. Former Memphis Express GM Will Lewis, played with The Houston Gamblers back when Jones was coaching there. Lewis also spent over a decade working in Seattle. That could be a landing spot for him as well.

Salt Lake GM Randy Mueller has history in Seattle. Could he be on the radar for someone like Jim Zorn?... Someone like Phil Savage, who was most recently GM of The Arizona Hotshots, seems like the type of person qualified to be working in a position similar to Doug Whaley’s role. Savage’s experience with the Senior Bowl would make him a candidate for that type of role.

Atlanta Legends GM Billy Devaney has history in St. Louis but probably not the type of history that warrants a return there. He’s been all over the country as an administrator. So he could be a possibility anywhere.

Orlando Apollos GM Tim Ruskell has an extremely diverse resume. He spent time working in the NFL, CFL and the USFL. A lot of that time was spent in Tampa with the Bucs/Bandits.

These Directors of Player Personnel, don’t have to necessarily be high profile hires like Moose. They also don’t have to be people who worked in the AAF or just CFL. It’s going to be interesting to see if any more high profile football people join these teams.
Last edited by MikeMitchell on Thu May 16, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tank55
Quarterback

Re: Does the Daryl Johnston hire open the door for more hires like him?

Post by Tank55 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:11 pm

If you want to move the needle in DC, former Redskins GM Scot McCloughan would get people buzzing. Looks like his consultant role with the Browns has been minimized or maybe even eliminated. He's also a scout's scout -- he could probably crush a role like this.

Dynamofan1

Post by Dynamofan1 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:20 pm

I hope it leads to Mike Singletary becoming Defensive Coordinator in Houston.

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu May 16, 2019 1:25 pm

Dynamofan1 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:20 pm
I hope it leads to Mike Singletary becoming Defensive Coordinator in Houston.
That would be awesome. Especially if Jones can’t pry Glanville away from Tampa.

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu May 16, 2019 1:30 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:11 pm
If you want to move the needle in DC, former Redskins GM Scot McCloughan would get people buzzing. Looks like his consultant role with the Browns has been minimized or maybe even eliminated. He's also a scout's scout -- he could probably crush a role like this.
That’s a great name to mention. He’d be on my list for sure.

BengalErnst
Kicker

Post by BengalErnst » Thu May 16, 2019 2:10 pm

How about the guy the Jets just fired for XFL NY?

XtremeFanForever
Running Back

Post by XtremeFanForever » Thu May 16, 2019 2:18 pm

I wonder how much latitude HC/GMs have with setting their staff. Like, was each coach given set vacancies they had to hire for? Or did the league say "here's your personnel budget, hire as you wish" (or something to that effect)? Maybe Johnson's role was Stoops' creation. In lieu of hiring another position coach he opted to bring in someone who's main focus is to help build the roster.
Defending Champs

Tank55
Quarterback

Post by Tank55 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:59 pm

BengalErnst wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:10 pm
I think most Jets fans have a negative opinion of Maccagnan. Surely Giants fans won't be impressed. Local connections only work if there's a positive association.

GDAWG
Quarterback

Post by GDAWG » Thu May 16, 2019 3:09 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:59 pm
BengalErnst wrote:
I think most Jets fans have a negative opinion of Maccagnan. Surely Giants fans won't be impressed. Local connections only work if there's a positive association.
Pretty much this. I am curious to see who the Dallas President is going to be, as long as it's not former Mavericks President Terdema Ussery.

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu May 16, 2019 3:16 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:59 pm
BengalErnst wrote:
I agree. It’s possible that Gilbride brings in someone who has history with him during his Giants tenure. I am not sure if former Giants GM Jerry Reese would be up for the role or not. Reese lives in Jersey. His son plays high school football in the state.

The DFO of the Atlanta Legends Chris Thompson has reportedly signed on for the same role with XFL New York. That’s more of a high end support position than say someone who is the Director of Player Personnel. He has front office and coaching experience.