DC - Brett Rypien
Tampa - Josh Johnson
New York - Justin Fields
St. Louis - Trevor Lawrence

GDAWG
Quarterback

Re: An updated list of potential XFL Quarterbacks

Post by GDAWG » Tue May 14, 2019 7:51 pm

I would like to see Josh Johnson in the XFL, only because I want to see him play for every team.

Dynamofan1
Receiver

Post by Dynamofan1 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:32 pm

I agree with your comments. Name recognition is going to get butts in seats and viewers on TV. In order for XFL to have long term success it needs a high quality performance no matter what the names are. Big names will be key in the beginning. But for me ,seeing good AAA level football is the long term goal. I was living in Houston and went to Houston Texans WFL games Gamblers USFL games and just having Jim Kelly at QB for the Gamblers made a huge difference in attendance. Both teams played in the Dome. But the old green and yellow Texans had very small crowds due to total unknowns. Gambler games drew big crowds and were a lot of fun.
Just a quick trivia queation. Does anyone remember the winner of the contest to name the WFL Texans defense?

MikeMitchell
Coach

Post by MikeMitchell » Tue May 14, 2019 10:15 pm

Dynamofan1 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:32 pm
I agree with your comments. Name recognition is going to get butts in seats and viewers on TV. In order for XFL to have long term success it needs a high quality performance no matter what the names are. Big names will be key in the beginning. But for me ,seeing good AAA level football is the long term goal. I was living in Houston and went to Houston Texans WFL games Gamblers USFL games and just having Jim Kelly at QB for the Gamblers made a huge difference in attendance. Both teams played in the Dome. But the old green and yellow Texans had very small crowds due to total unknowns. Gambler games drew big crowds and were a lot of fun.
Just a quick trivia queation. Does anyone remember the winner of the contest to name the WFL Texans defense?
I resisted the urge to google it. Who was the winner of the contest and what was the nickname?

I do know that The WFL’s Houston Texans were short lived. They did a lot of gimmicks to try and stand out. They had a nickel a beer nights and stuff like that. They even attempted to sign NFL draft picks. If I am not mistaken, they got a player in the 70’s who was already under NFL contract to join up with the Texans, suit up to play, only to have a court order and the police force show up to take the player off the field. It might have been John Matuszak.

MikeMitchell
Coach

Post by MikeMitchell » Tue May 14, 2019 11:18 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:32 pm
Half-assed fantasy:

Seattle - Jeremiah Masoli
Houston - Garrett Gilbert
Dallas - Luke Falk
Los Angeles - Khalil Tate

DC - Brett Rypien
Tampa - Josh Johnson
New York - Justin Fields
St. Louis - Trevor Lawrence
Not a bad list at all. Here’s my 2 lists. Fantasy vs reality. These are not my personal choices.

Fantasy world (Name recognition/Publicity) list.

Los Angeles- Colin Kaepernick
Dallas- Sam Bradford
Houston- Johnny Manziel
Seattle- Gardner Minshew (Turns down backup/ps spot in Jacksonville to start in the XFL)
St. Louis- Trevor Lawrence (Hayes drafts him and then negotiates with Lawrence to get him to play 1 year in the XFL)
Tampa Bay- Tim Tebow
Washington- Brandon Peters (Former Michigan Quarterback currently in transfer portal, decides to turn pro and play QB for his former OC)
New York- Taquan Roberson (4 star dual quarterback from New Jersey, has committed to Penn State, but will most likely red shirt in 2019. Roberson instead decides to go pro in his home state instead, becoming XFL’s first high school graduate to commit to the league.

Reality list:
Dallas- Landry Jones with Former OU recruit and Quarterback Trevor Knight backing him up.

Houston- Johnny Manziel/Chad Kelly (Two problem child qb’s compete for starting role. Jones has history with Manziel and Chad’s uncle Jim)

Los Angeles- Terrelle Pryor- Back to playing quarterback again in California.

Seattle- Paxton Lynch (Former 1st round pick, loses roster spot with Seahawks to Geno Smith)

Washington- Kevin Hogan ( Reunites with Hamilton)

New York- Cardale Jones

Tampa Bay- Josh Johnson (Trestman backup/draft pick in Chicago, David Fales backs up Johnson)

St. Louis- Brandon Silvers/Luis Perez- Two Former AAF standouts compete for starting role.

Dynamofan1
Receiver

Post by Dynamofan1 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:30 pm

It's been many years and I can't remember the spelling or the meaning. I can only remember how to say it. The closest thing I could find when I googled it was deguello
which has a disturbing meaning.

Phonetically it sounds like DE WAYLO