Jonathan Hayes to be named XFL St. Louis Head Coach/GM?

XFL Football discussion.
GDAWG
Quarterback

Re: Jonathan Hayes to be named XFL St. Louis Head Coach/GM?

Post by GDAWG » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:53 pm

XtremeFanForever wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:49 pm
GDAWG wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:44 pm
XtremeFanForever wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:42 pm

Does it, though? It seems St. Louis has the largest fan base on social media right now. Of all the 8 teams they seem most willing to embrace the XFL regardless.
Probably because they hope that names like Isaac Bruce, Orlando Pace and Kurt Warner are involved with the team.

I always had the impression they were just glad to have pro football back. I know Bruce expressed interest in being involved but I haven't heard from any St. Louis fans that have said they wouldn't buy in if the team wasn't lead by an ex-Ram.
I don't live in St. Louis, so I wouldn't know for sure. There are a few people here on this board who live in St. Louis or are from there so maybe they will tell you if it's a bad idea or not.

Tank55
Quarterback

Post by Tank55 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:58 pm

What were Dick Vermeil's ties to St. Louis before he got there? This fawning over the 1999 Rams is driving me insane. I thought St. Louis was supposed to be a sports town.

Tank55
Quarterback

Post by Tank55 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:59 pm

If the only way XFL St. Louis is going to work is by pandering to the Greatest Show on Turf, the XFL made a huge mistake. But it's not in the choice of coach, it's in giving this town a team at all.

GDAWG
Quarterback

Post by GDAWG » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:47 pm

All of the coaches so far have had ties to the cities that they are coaching in, so I don't see why the St. Louis coach shouldn't. They don't have to have any association with the Rams. Pep Hamilton had no association with the Redskins, but is from DC and went to Howard, which is in DC.

steinerfhc
Running Back

Post by steinerfhc » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:47 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:53 pm
XtremeFanForever wrote:
GDAWG wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:44 pm

Probably because they hope that names like Isaac Bruce, Orlando Pace and Kurt Warner are involved with the team.

I always had the impression they were just glad to have pro football back. I know Bruce expressed interest in being involved but I haven't heard from any St. Louis fans that have said they wouldn't buy in if the team wasn't lead by an ex-Ram.
I don't live in St. Louis, so I wouldn't know for sure. There are a few people here on this board who live in St. Louis or are from there so maybe they will tell you if it's a bad idea or not.
As someone who does live in St. Louis, yes there is a good amount of buzz when we got the team.Getting the team fans got excited. Knowing how much money they are paying to be here again fans loved it.To keep that buzz and grow it, you have to keep it interesting and show how serious you want to be, I don't see Hayes as a guy that fits that bill. Not to say the fans supporting now would just leave over Hayes, it would just be kind of a disappointment however but not a turn away. Fisher would been that kind of guy that would turned against it. Hayes would have to try and bring in a lot of personal fans would be more interested in and more so heard of. St. Louis fans I highly doubt will know who Hayes is because there isn't any real connection here. It would been like having 4 down in the red zone to score at TD but instead on the first down you kick a field goal. Just fall flat to what fans have hopped.

I mean when you hear names of ex rams or known coach names like Pinkel and Martz being floating around and a few others who at less had some kind of St. Louis connection. Yeah you get extra hyped over those names. When you are seeing that not the case and Hayes becoming the strongest case of who will be, not that exciting compared to the others rumored and compared to who been hired so far.
Tank55 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:59 pm
If the only way XFL St. Louis is going to work is by pandering to the Greatest Show on Turf, the XFL made a huge mistake. But it's not in the choice of coach, it's in giving this town a team at all.
It's not that. Look at all the coaches hired, all been HC before and had in some way a tied to the area there coaching in. Hayes doesn't fit either one of those things. I don't need it to be A greatest show on turf guy to like it. I want to be someone that at less had experience in the role and as some connection with the area. Hayes doesn't have either but all the other teams do.You have to keep in mind St. Louis wants it's football but at the same time they you trying to attracts fans who went years without it as well. How do you create buzz? but having personal that the locals know who they are or a resume that is impressive. When you compare Hayes to who been hired. It doesn't match up and doesn't get me as excited as someone proven at some level.
Last edited by steinerfhc on Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tank55
Quarterback

Post by Tank55 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:51 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:47 pm
All of the coaches so far have had ties to the cities that they are coaching in, so I don't see why the St. Louis coach shouldn't. They don't have to have any association with the Rams. Pep Hamilton had no association with the Redskins, but is from DC and went to Howard, which is in DC.
And what if he had gone to college in Boston? Should XFL DC fans not be excited to have him?

MikeMitchell
Head Coach

Post by MikeMitchell » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:57 pm

St.Louis has always been labeled as a front runner town. To be fair, that’s true of most markets.

What if Jonathan Hayes goes 10 and 0 and wins an XFL Championship? Will the city embrace him?

He could go 2 and 8 and get fired and then we are right back to Martz speculation again.

Hayes wouldn’t have been my choice but I am not in a position to decide that. I am not in the interview process.

GDAWG
Quarterback

Post by GDAWG » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:00 pm

steinerfhc wrote:
GDAWG wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:53 pm
XtremeFanForever wrote:

As someone who does live in St. Louis, yes there is a good amount of buzz when we got the team.Getting the team fans got excited. Knowing how much money they are paying to be here again fans loved it.To keep that buzz and grow it, you have to keep it interesting and show how serious you want to be, I don't see Hayes as a guy that fits that bill. Not to say the fans supporting now would just leave over Hayes, it would just be kind of a disappointment however but not a turn away. Fisher would been that kind of guy that would turned against it. Hayes would have to try and bring in a lot of personal fans would be more interested in and more so heard of. St. Louis fans I highly doubt will know who Hayes is because there isn't any real connection here. It would been like having 4 down in the red zone to score at TD but instead on the first down you kick a field goal. Just fall flat to what fans have hopped.

I mean when you hear names of ex rams or known coach names like Pinkel and Martz being floating around. Yeah you get extra hyped over those names. When you are seeing that not the case and Hayes becoming the strongest case of who will be, not that exciting compared to the others rumored and compared to who been hired so far.
Living in Dallas, there was zero buzz when the team was first announced because Dallas is an oversaturated sports market. The WNBA's Dallas Wings get zero buzz whatsoever. When they hired their coach, the local media did not cover it, instead talking Rangers, Mavericks, Stars and Cowboys. When Bob Stoops was hired though, there was buzz because the local media covered him for 17 years when he was Head Coach at Oklahoma (due to the large Oklahoma alumni in the area).

GDAWG
Quarterback

Post by GDAWG » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:06 pm

steinerfhc wrote:

Tank55 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:59 pm
It's not that. Look at all the coaches hired, all been HC before and had in some way a tied to the area there coaching in. Hayes doesn't fit either one of those things. I don't need it to be A greatest show on turf guy to like it. I want to be someone that at less had experience in the role and as some connection with the area. Hayes doesn't have either but all the other teams do.You have to keep in mind St. Louis wants it's football but at the same time they you trying to attracts fans who went years without it as well. How do you create buzz? but having personal that the locals know who they are or a resume that is impressive. When you compare Hayes to who been hired. It doesn't match up and doesn't get me as excited as someone proven at some level.
If Hayes had played his high school football in St. Louis or even went to Missouri, I bet the you would be okay with it. His only ties to Missouri was that he played for the Chiefs and I am not sure if St. Louis and Kansas City sports fans are friendly to one another or not.

Pep Hamilton was never a head coach, but he did have ties to DC.

Tank55
Quarterback

Post by Tank55 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:09 pm

steinerfhc wrote:
It's not that. Look at all the coaches hired, all been HC before and had in some way a tied to the area there coaching in. Hayes doesn't fit either one of those things. I don't need it to be A greatest show on turf guy to like it.
I'm OK with being underwhelmed. I think that's fair. I'm not OK with a "former Ram or Cardinal or bust" attitude. I'm not saying that's your position, but there's has been A LOT of it on this board specific to XFL St. Louis, and this is clearly just the tip of the iceberg.