5.NY
6.Seattle
7.Tampa Bay
8.St. Louis

Tank55
Quarterback

Re: Kevin Gilbride To Coach XFL NY

Post by Tank55 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:56 pm

From a football perspective, I think it's fine in a vacuum. He's a qualified, capable coach.

From a schematic diversity perspective, it's very disappointing. It's yet another former NFL guy running an NFL-style offense. New York probably wasn't the market to try something radical, but we're running out of spots. Barring Bob Stoops getting weird, we're probably going to be doomed to NFL Light.

From a marketing perspective, I think they're vastly over-valuing having a local connection. It's not necessarily a positive, especially for a market with two NFL teams. Gilbride was a punching bag for Giants fans at the end of his run (Kevin Killdrive), and hiring a former Giant could be a turnoff for Jets fans.

XtremeFanForever
Running Back

Post by XtremeFanForever » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:59 pm

Figured it would be something like this. Underwhelming but respectable enough. At least he should help keep the league offensive-minded.

Not to get ahead of ourselves but I think at this point it's going to be the 2nd generation of head coaches when we'll see more of the Pep Hamilton types (good resume but their real career is ahead of them, not behind them). At this point they probably shouldn't waste any more time getting cute with the hires, just get guys in the door that know what they're doing.
Defending Champs

MikeMitchell
Head Coach

Post by MikeMitchell » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:25 pm

Not the sexiest hire. That's for sure. Despite having 40 years of coaching experience and 2 Superbowl Championships on his resume. I never considered him because silly me, thought that he was really retired. It's been almost 6 years now.

One of the things that is real difficult with New York teams and the coaches and executives that work for them is location, and the expenses involved in living in the Tri-State area.

I have seen this my whole life with Giants and Jets assistants. Sometimes coaches will turn down coming to New York, not just because it will uproot their families, but because the cost of living is a huge factor. New York always has to overpay. Especially when it comes to top level assistants. Not easy finding somewhere to live and it's very expensive. Specifically with property taxes alone.

So someone like Gilbride is an easier sell on the market. He already has northeast ties, living in CT. Having been born and raised there. He played college ball at Southern Connecticut. He's been coaching in New York and living there since 2002. Coached for The Buffalo Bills and New York Giants from 2002-2013.

It's another XFL hire with someone who has an offensive background. Working with QB's. So far it's a QB centric league. Even with a defensive minded coach like Stoops, who has great history with quarterbacks.

MikeMitchell
Head Coach

Post by MikeMitchell » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:28 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:56 pm
From a football perspective, I think it's fine in a vacuum. He's a qualified, capable coach.

From a schematic diversity perspective, it's very disappointing. It's yet another former NFL guy running an NFL-style offense. New York probably wasn't the market to try something radical, but we're running out of spots. Barring Bob Stoops getting weird, we're probably going to be doomed to NFL Light.

From a marketing perspective, I think they're vastly over-valuing having a local connection. It's not necessarily a positive, especially for a market with two NFL teams. Gilbride was a punching bag for Giants fans at the end of his run (Kevin Killdrive), and hiring a former Giant could be a turnoff for Jets fans.
I think Trestman and Stoops will run non NFL offenses. You are going to see a heavy CFL influenced Trestman offense with Elizondo calling plays. Pep is going to have college elements, from his time in Stanford and at Michigan. So his offense could be a hybrid of pro and college.

Zorn and Gilbride are probably going to be old school NFL style offenses. Gilbride is pass centric. Dating back to his time with The Oilers. It's what got him punched in the face by Buddy Ryan.

There are 3 hires left. So we will see what coaches hop on board.

Tank55
Quarterback

Post by Tank55 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:31 pm

I guess, but these are all just shades of grey. Harbaugh's college offenses and Hamilton's NFL offenses were pro-style; Trestman's NFL offenses were NFL offenses. There are a lot of bright offensive minds, and I'm sure we'll see some creative ideas, but if you were prioritizing schematic diversity, this wouldn't be the result.

I don't think that's the end of the world, but I do think it's a missed opportunity.

GDAWG
Quarterback

Post by GDAWG » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:38 pm

Trestman did run an NFL offense in Chicago and in the NFL, but if they actually hire Jerry Glanville, I could see Tampa running the Run N' Shoot as that was the offense Glanville was known to have run everywhere he's been.

XFLGUY
Receiver

Post by XFLGUY » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:58 pm

Uh, who?

Ok..it’s kinda a 🤷🏻‍♂️ hire for me. Nothing sticks out, nothing doesn’t stick out.

MikeMitchell
Head Coach

Post by MikeMitchell » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:59 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:38 pm
Trestman did run an NFL offense in Chicago and in the NFL, but if they actually hire Jerry Glanville, I could see Tampa running the Run N' Shoot as that was the offense Glanville was known to have run everywhere he's been.
Trestman has run a lot of different types of offenses. Hiring Jaime Elizondo as OC from The CFL and having won 3 CFL championships with that up tempo style of play, leads me to believe that Trestman is not going to run a traditional NFL styled offense in The XFL. Especially with the way the league is set up.

MikeMitchell
Head Coach

Post by MikeMitchell » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:04 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:31 pm
I guess, but these are all just shades of grey. Harbaugh's college offenses and Hamilton's NFL offenses were pro-style; Trestman's NFL offenses were NFL offenses. There are a lot of bright offensive minds, and I'm sure we'll see some creative ideas, but if you were prioritizing schematic diversity, this wouldn't be the result.

I don't think that's the end of the world, but I do think it's a missed opportunity.
We still have a way to go. Stoops hasn't announced his OC yet. We don't know about Houston or LA. If Martz is in STL, we know where that's headed. That's not a bad thing per se.

I think Trestman's OC choice and his experience in Canada, kind of tells me where that offense is leaning. It's going to be a hybrid.

Just getting these coaches to commit to an upstart league is not easy. Throwing out location which helped snag Trestman, Stoops and Zorn. Perhaps Hamilton as well. After what happened to the original XFL and all the baggage, the league carries, and what just happened with the AAF. Getting coaches that have NFL, CFL and college championships to commit to the league is an accomplishment in it's own right.