Will The XFL attempt to sign AAF players?

XFL Football discussion.
Post Reply
User avatar
MikeMitchell
Head Coach
Posts: 1155
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Will The XFL attempt to sign AAF players?

Post by MikeMitchell » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:04 pm

This question was asked of Oliver Luck on The Sports Junkies show a few weeks back. The quick answer was yes.

How would that work exactly? When all AAF players are signed to 3 year deals, where their only out is to go to the NFL.

Here is what is going to happen once the AAF's first season ends in late April. There will probably be anywhere from 20 to 30 AAF players who end up signing on with NFL teams, to be a part of NFL training camps this summer. The AAF will tout this and rightfully so. They will brag about every single player that signs with an NFL team, as an example of how their league worked in year one as a developmental league. I suspect that players like Garrett Gilbert, Rashad Ross, Kameron Kelly and Karter Schult will all end up on NFL rosters, once the AAF season ends. There are quite a few others who will make the all AAF team, that will get a crack in the NFL again this summer.

The question then becomes..... What happens to an AAF player's 3 year contract?.... Let's pretend that Garrett Gilbert wins the AAF championship and is named league MVP. Let's also assume that Gilbert gets signed by a NFL team like say The Miami Dolphins. He is given a chance to compete for a backup job in the NFL. Once September 2nd comes, there's a possibility that Gilbert is cut and doesn't make the final roster. Is he then a free agent again?, and if so. What's to stop the XFL from making him an offer in September. Gilbert can choose to go back to the AAF and make 83k a year, or sign on with an XFL team for 300k minimum.

Will the AAF retain these players contractual rights if they sign with NFL teams or do these players become free agents again, if they don't stick on an NFL roster come September. The very best AAF players that fail to make NFL rosters, could be targets of the XFL if they are free to choose their next step in their pro careers. This is a question that needs answering.

There's no doubt that there is going to be a lot of competition for players this year between the XFL and AAF. That September 2nd cut down day where 864 players get cut loose, is going to be a feeding frenzy where both leagues attempt to sign what they classify as the best prospects. The NFL preseason games are going to be scouted heavily by both leagues. Will an expanding NFL relationship sway players to stick with the Alliance, or will big salaries in big markets with more exposure, sway some players to sign with the XFL. This is where the recruiting of the league and coaches come into play.

User avatar
SamTheRam28
Running Back
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:16 pm

Re: Will The XFL attempt to sign AAF players?

Post by SamTheRam28 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:27 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:04 pm
This question was asked of Oliver Luck on The Sports Junkies show a few weeks back. The quick answer was yes.

How would that work exactly? When all AAF players are signed to 3 year deals, where their only out is to go to the NFL.

Here is what is going to happen once the AAF's first season ends in late April. There will probably be anywhere from 20 to 30 AAF players who end up signing on with NFL teams, to be a part of NFL training camps this summer. The AAF will tout this and rightfully so. They will brag about every single player that signs with an NFL team, as an example of how their league worked in year one as a developmental league. I suspect that players like Garrett Gilbert, Rashad Ross, Kameron Kelly and Karter Schult will all end up on NFL rosters, once the AAF season ends. There are quite a few others who will make the all AAF team, that will get a crack in the NFL again this summer.

The question then becomes..... What happens to an AAF player's 3 year contract?.... Let's pretend that Garrett Gilbert wins the AAF championship and is named league MVP. Let's also assume that Gilbert gets signed by a NFL team like say The Miami Dolphins. He is given a chance to compete for a backup job in the NFL. Once September 2nd comes, there's a possibility that Gilbert is cut and doesn't make the final roster. Is he then a free agent again?, and if so. What's to stop the XFL from making him an offer in September. Gilbert can choose to go back to the AAF and make 83k a year, or sign on with an XFL team for 300k minimum.

Will the AAF retain these players contractual rights if they sign with NFL teams or do these players become free agents again, if they don't stick on an NFL roster come September. The very best AAF players that fail to make NFL rosters, could be targets of the XFL if they are free to choose their next step in their pro careers. This is a question that needs answering.

There's no doubt that there is going to be a lot of competition for players this year between the XFL and AAF. That September 2nd cut down day where 864 players get cut loose, is going to be a feeding frenzy where both leagues attempt to sign what they classify as the best prospects. The NFL preseason games are going to be scouted heavily by both leagues. Will an expanding NFL relationship sway players to stick with the Alliance, or will big salaries in big markets with more exposure, sway some players to sign with the XFL. This is where the recruiting of the league and coaches come into play.
I was actually thinking about this the other day. It's really all just speculation until we find out the exact details of AAF's contracts, but Luck's comments are interesting.
St. Louis Stallions

User avatar
Tank55
Quarterback
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Re: Will The XFL attempt to sign AAF players?

Post by Tank55 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:43 pm

Relevant reading from back in September:
The email opens with Luck explaining that he wants to make agents “aware of a number of issues related to spring football that may inhibit your client’s freedom in choosing to join our league when we launch in 2020.” As to the issue of player contracts, Luck says this: “Competitive leagues appear to be offering multi-year contracts that may have restrictions and or non-compete clauses that could severely limit your client’s’ ability to play for other leagues, including the XFL.” ...

Luck also touts the XFL’s marketing and intellectual property arrangements, explaining that the XFL will establish a Group Licensing Agreement for players, and warning that “[o]ther spring leagues may feature restrictive licensing agreements that limit your clients’ likeness rights and distribution; impose restrictions that may inhibit your clients’ licensing rights; and restrict their ability to participate in other licensing agreements, including the XFL GLA.”
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -aaf-feud/

User avatar
MikeMitchell
Head Coach
Posts: 1155
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: Will The XFL attempt to sign AAF players?

Post by MikeMitchell » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:14 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:43 pm
Relevant reading from back in September:
The email opens with Luck explaining that he wants to make agents “aware of a number of issues related to spring football that may inhibit your client’s freedom in choosing to join our league when we launch in 2020.” As to the issue of player contracts, Luck says this: “Competitive leagues appear to be offering multi-year contracts that may have restrictions and or non-compete clauses that could severely limit your client’s’ ability to play for other leagues, including the XFL.” ...

Luck also touts the XFL’s marketing and intellectual property arrangements, explaining that the XFL will establish a Group Licensing Agreement for players, and warning that “[o]ther spring leagues may feature restrictive licensing agreements that limit your clients’ likeness rights and distribution; impose restrictions that may inhibit your clients’ licensing rights; and restrict their ability to participate in other licensing agreements, including the XFL GLA.”
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -aaf-feud/
I remember all of this. It’s certainly a way of both leagues trying to get the agents of these players to choose their league.

What’s uncertain is what happens to an AAF contract when they leave. Is Josh Johnson still under a 3 year contract with the AAF? He’s now a member of The Redskins. He may not make the final roster this summer but he’s an NFL player at the moment. Since he signed a 3 year deal before he was drafted 1st overall. Does that mean he has 2 years left on his AAF contract? Or is the old contract void?

Sounder
Running Back
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:04 am

Re: Will The XFL attempt to sign AAF players?

Post by Sounder » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:00 pm

From what i understand...... if an AAF player goes to NFL training camp and fails to stick..... he returns to the AAF under the three year term. And by the way...... XFL players will make $7500 per game. There will be exceptions for more for "certain" kind of name guys. I guess that's 75 thou for a season with incentive bonuses for winning.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
Head Coach
Posts: 1155
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: Will The XFL attempt to sign AAF players?

Post by MikeMitchell » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:14 pm

Sounder wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:00 pm
From what i understand...... if an AAF player goes to NFL training camp and fails to stick..... he returns to the AAF under the three year term. And by the way...... XFL players will make $7500 per game. There will be exceptions for more for "certain" kind of name guys. I guess that's 75 thou for a season with incentive bonuses for winning.
It’s 4 tiers in the XFL. The top gets 250k per season.

2nd tier is 150k and above per season.

Third tier is in that 75 to 100k per season range.

The AAF contracts void once a player signs with the NFL. Josh Johnson is a free agent for example.

Post Reply