Assigned QB Options at Conclusion of NFL Season

XFL Football discussion.
Rangersking669
Receiver
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:46 pm

Assigned QB Options at Conclusion of NFL Season

Post by Rangersking669 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:48 pm

Considering the additions made before the first supplemental draft in November, and Oliver Luck's statement that they will continue to pursue better quarterbacks, who do you guys think could be announced in advance of the January supplemental draft? Furthermore, what teams do you think will pursue these players?

Teams without 2 assigned quarterbacks: DAL, HOU, DC, TB, NY

In my opinion, Tampa, Dallas, and New York are most likely to pursue one, in that order, as DC and Houston both have pretty strong backup options that I don't think could be contested by the likely available pool. I'm not really that high on Aaron Murray so I think introducing another fringe NFL guy could push him or Cornelius to earn the job. Meanwhile, for Dallas, Philip Nelson had his moments in the AAF, but he also had some struggles despite playing under Mike Martz's offense. Finally, for New York, they probably need one the least out of the group, but from my outsider impression, I don't see Marquise Williams being as solidified as a Tyree or a Cook/Walker, considering him being an AAF backup behind Logan Woodside.

Likely Available Options, No Order:

Current FA: Luke Falk, JT Barrett, Tanner Lee, Brad Kaaya, Tom Savage, Kevin Hogan, Garrett Grayson, Brett Rypien, Drew Anderson, Nick Fitzgerald, (suggested by LeoNY) Zach Mettenberger. No, I am not including really old NFL Vets like Cassell or Weeden, the odds are there are better options than guys on the verge of retirement.

Old Practice Squad Guys: Tyler Bray (28 by the start of the XFL season), Jake Rudock (27 by the start of the XFL season). These guys, simply due to their age, are most likely to get cast aside from the wheel of NFL practice squads.

Other current practice squad guys suggested to me by LeoNY(edit to original post): John Wolford, Kyle Lauletta, Clayton Thorson, Davis Webb, Jake Browning, Danny Etling, Chad Kanoff, Mike White, Eric Dungey

Now, which guys would you prefer most among the list, and which teams do you think would sign them? I'm not a football guy so I'm not going to act like I would be able to sort too well between this list. I've heard some buzz for Kaaya, and Barrett obviously has a college reputation. Dungey has had past interest in the XFL(edit from original h/t LeoNY). What do y'all think? (edit from original) Who would be your top 5 choices among this group?
Last edited by Rangersking669 on Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
LeoNY
Coach
Posts: 787
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Re: Assigned QB Options at Conclusion of NFL Season

Post by LeoNY » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:59 pm

I’d put Rams practice squad Quarterback John Wolford in the equation.

If a player finishes the season on the practice squad. The player comes off the roster. Someone like Wolford would probably be offered a futures contract. It’s then a matter if Wolford wants to sign a futures contract or play in the XFL. Players under futures deals do not get paid by their NFL team until March of 2020.

User avatar
LeoNY
Coach
Posts: 787
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Re: Assigned QB Options at Conclusion of NFL Season

Post by LeoNY » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:19 pm

I would also add Browns PS QB Eric Dungey. Originally in the XFL draft pool. Something Dungey celebrated online.

Eagles PS Quarterback Kyle Lauletta. Cowboys PS Quarterback Clayton Thorson. Bills PS QB Davis Webb. Vikings PS QB Jake Browning. Falcons PS QB Danny Etling. Bucs PS QB Chad Kanoff. Jets QB Mike White.

User avatar
Tank55
Coach
Posts: 538
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Re: Assigned QB Options at Conclusion of NFL Season

Post by Tank55 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:46 pm

I'd love for the Defenders to pick up Brett Rypien.

User avatar
LeoNY
Coach
Posts: 787
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Re: Assigned QB Options at Conclusion of NFL Season

Post by LeoNY » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:28 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:46 pm
I'd love for the Defenders to pick up Brett Rypien.
I forgot about him. The Broncos recently cut him and are likely to put him on the practice squad. Rypien’s a good candidate. Rypien is the all time leading passer in Mountain West history. Brett is former Redskins Superbowl champ Mark Rypien’s nephew.

One young veteran free agent quarterback that is a possibility is Kevin Hogan. He was coached by Pep Hamilton at Stanford. He’s only 27 years old and has some NFL game experience. Born in Virginia and went to high school in DC. So he makes sense as an extra veteran arm behind Cardale Jones.

Rangersking669
Receiver
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:46 pm

Re: Assigned QB Options at Conclusion of NFL Season

Post by Rangersking669 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:47 pm

LeoNY wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:19 pm
I would also add Browns PS QB Eric Dungey. Originally in the XFL draft pool. Something Dungey celebrated online.

Eagles PS Quarterback Kyle Lauletta. Cowboys PS Quarterback Clayton Thorson. Bills PS QB Davis Webb. Vikings PS QB Jake Browning. Falcons PS QB Danny Etling. Bucs PS QB Chad Kanoff. Jets QB Mike White.
Ok, I will add these guys into the original post, with credit and notice of edit of course.

Rangersking669
Receiver
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:46 pm

Re: Assigned QB Options at Conclusion of NFL Season

Post by Rangersking669 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:51 pm

LeoNY wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:28 pm
Tank55 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:46 pm
I'd love for the Defenders to pick up Brett Rypien.
I forgot about him. The Broncos recently cut him and are likely to put him on the practice squad. Rypien’s a good candidate. Rypien is the all time leading passer in Mountain West history. Brett is former Redskins Superbowl champ Mark Rypien’s nephew.

One young veteran free agent quarterback that is a possibility is Kevin Hogan. He was coached by Pep Hamilton at Stanford. He’s only 27 years old and has some NFL game experience. Born in Virginia and went to high school in DC. So he makes sense as an extra veteran arm behind Cardale Jones.
With all that said, out of the options now on the list, who would be your top 5 choices?

User avatar
LeoNY
Coach
Posts: 787
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Re: Assigned QB Options at Conclusion of NFL Season

Post by LeoNY » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:59 pm

Rangersking669 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:51 pm
LeoNY wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:28 pm
Tank55 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:46 pm
I'd love for the Defenders to pick up Brett Rypien.
I forgot about him. The Broncos recently cut him and are likely to put him on the practice squad. Rypien’s a good candidate. Rypien is the all time leading passer in Mountain West history. Brett is former Redskins Superbowl champ Mark Rypien’s nephew.

One young veteran free agent quarterback that is a possibility is Kevin Hogan. He was coached by Pep Hamilton at Stanford. He’s only 27 years old and has some NFL game experience. Born in Virginia and went to high school in DC. So he makes sense as an extra veteran arm behind Cardale Jones.
With all that said, out of the options now on the list, who would be your top 5 choices?

Depends. As a gadget player type. I like Eric Dungey. The XFL is filled with those types of players. From Quinton Flowers to BJ Daniels.

Just straight quarterbacks. Based on what’s available. Kevin Hogan, Brett Rypien, John Wolford, JT Barrett and Davis Webb. Honorable mention to Johnny Manziel.

There are a few quarterbacks that were in the XFL’s draft pool that could be useful. Zach Mettenberger, Ryan Mallett, Tanner Mangum and Devante Kincade.

Rangersking669
Receiver
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:46 pm

Re: Assigned QB Options at Conclusion of NFL Season

Post by Rangersking669 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:30 pm

LeoNY wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:59 pm

Depends. As a gadget player type. I like Eric Dungey. The XFL is filled with those types of players. From Quinton Flowers to BJ Daniels.

Just straight quarterbacks. Based on what’s available. Kevin Hogan, Brett Rypien, John Wolford, JT Barrett and Davis Webb. Honorable mention to Johnny Manziel.

There are a few quarterbacks that were in the XFL’s draft pool that could be useful. Zach Mettenberger, Ryan Mallett, Tanner Mangum and Devante Kincade.
I doubt the XFL is going to want Mallet considering his recent DWI case. I really don't think Mangum or Kincade fit the bill of an assigned qb considering how they didn't even get drafted by the XFL even though they both wanted to. As for Mettenberger, I think he is in the cards. I'll add him on. Perhaps he was invited to the draft but held off from being drafted because he thinks he could get assigned and because he thought the pay was too low after that updated.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 1938
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: Assigned QB Options at Conclusion of NFL Season

Post by MikeMitchell » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:48 pm

Ryan Mallett was in the XFL’s player draft pool for the supplemental draft. Confirmed by him to me. He just wasn’t selected. Same for Zach Mettenberger. No salary issues for those two. They just weren’t drafted.

Post Reply