Detroit Lions sign an XFL Quarterback after all

XFL Football discussion.
Post Reply
User avatar
LeoNY
Coach
Posts: 787
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Detroit Lions sign an XFL Quarterback after all

Post by LeoNY » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:21 pm

The Detroit Lions have signed Seattle Dragons quarterback Joe Callahan to their practice squad. Lions have been busy on the QB front. They signed another potential XFL QB Kyle Sloter off of the Cardinals practice squad. He could have been a target in January. The Lions placed Jeff Driskel on IR to make room for Sloter on the 53 man.

Fortunately for the Dragons. They have Chase Litton and Brandon Silvers under contract with BJ Daniels also on the roster.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 1938
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: Detroit Lions sign an XFL Quarterback after all

Post by MikeMitchell » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:46 pm

Kyle Sloter is definitely someone who the XFL had interest in. He’s one of the lesser known quarterbacks that the XFL is fully aware of. He’s in the same category that David Blough and Devlin Hodges were. Under the radar quarterbacks who the league is high on.

Dragons are retaining Joe Callahan’s rights but he might have a hard time making Seattle’s roster. I know that sounds crazy but missing minicamp doesn’t help and Silvers and Litton seem higher in the pecking order. Daniels provides roster versatility and can play multiple positions and be used as a gadget player. Callahan might have had a better shot to out play the other quarterbacks in minicamp. He could still return to the team in January.

GDAWG
Coach
Posts: 635
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Re: Detroit Lions sign an XFL Quarterback after all

Post by GDAWG » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:53 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:46 pm
Kyle Sloter is definitely someone who the XFL had interest in. He’s one of the lesser known quarterbacks that the XFL is fully aware of. He’s in the same category that David Blough and Devlin Hodges were. Under the radar quarterbacks who the league is high on.

Dragons are retaining Joe Callahan’s rights but he might have a hard time making Seattle’s roster. I know that sounds crazy but missing minicamp doesn’t help and Silvers and Litton seem higher in the pecking order. Daniels provides roster versatility and can play multiple positions and be used as a gadget player. Callahan might have had a better shot to out play the other quarterbacks in minicamp. He could still return to the team in January.
Blough and Hodges seem unlikely for the XFL at this point as I would expect the Lions will want to keep Blough and the Steelers will want to keep Hodges. I could see Blough competing with Jeff Driskel to be the #2 behind Matt Stafford next year in Detroit and Hodges competing with Mason Rudolph for the starting job with the Steelers next year, especially if they don't draft a QB next year (I think Big Ben is done in Pittsburgh).

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 1938
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: Detroit Lions sign an XFL Quarterback after all

Post by MikeMitchell » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:56 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:53 pm
MikeMitchell wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:46 pm
Kyle Sloter is definitely someone who the XFL had interest in. He’s one of the lesser known quarterbacks that the XFL is fully aware of. He’s in the same category that David Blough and Devlin Hodges were. Under the radar quarterbacks who the league is high on.

Dragons are retaining Joe Callahan’s rights but he might have a hard time making Seattle’s roster. I know that sounds crazy but missing minicamp doesn’t help and Silvers and Litton seem higher in the pecking order. Daniels provides roster versatility and can play multiple positions and be used as a gadget player. Callahan might have had a better shot to out play the other quarterbacks in minicamp. He could still return to the team in January.
Blough and Hodges seem unlikely for the XFL at this point as I would expect the Lions will want to keep Blough and the Steelers will want to keep Hodges. I could see Blough competing with Jeff Driskel to be the #2 behind Matt Stafford next year in Detroit and Hodges competing with Mason Rudolph for the starting job with the Steelers next year, especially if they don't draft a QB next year (I think Big Ben is done in Pittsburgh).
I know that they are unlikely. They are off the table. Sloter is now too. He’s going to finish the season on the Lions roster. My point was that these were quarterbacks that the XFL was in contact with and scouted.

Another QB, the XFL was after is Paxton Lynch. He looks like he is going to finish the season on the Steelers 53 man roster.

Any quarterbacks that are on practice squads are XFL targets. Sloter no longer is.

GDAWG
Coach
Posts: 635
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Re: Detroit Lions sign an XFL Quarterback after all

Post by GDAWG » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:31 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:56 pm
GDAWG wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:53 pm
MikeMitchell wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:46 pm
Kyle Sloter is definitely someone who the XFL had interest in. He’s one of the lesser known quarterbacks that the XFL is fully aware of. He’s in the same category that David Blough and Devlin Hodges were. Under the radar quarterbacks who the league is high on.

Dragons are retaining Joe Callahan’s rights but he might have a hard time making Seattle’s roster. I know that sounds crazy but missing minicamp doesn’t help and Silvers and Litton seem higher in the pecking order. Daniels provides roster versatility and can play multiple positions and be used as a gadget player. Callahan might have had a better shot to out play the other quarterbacks in minicamp. He could still return to the team in January.
Blough and Hodges seem unlikely for the XFL at this point as I would expect the Lions will want to keep Blough and the Steelers will want to keep Hodges. I could see Blough competing with Jeff Driskel to be the #2 behind Matt Stafford next year in Detroit and Hodges competing with Mason Rudolph for the starting job with the Steelers next year, especially if they don't draft a QB next year (I think Big Ben is done in Pittsburgh).
I know that they are unlikely. They are off the table. Sloter is now too. He’s going to finish the season on the Lions roster. My point was that these were quarterbacks that the XFL was in contact with and scouted.

Another QB, the XFL was after is Paxton Lynch. He looks like he is going to finish the season on the Steelers 53 man roster.

Any quarterbacks that are on practice squads are XFL targets. Sloter no longer is.
Sloter though is only signed for the rest of the season. He could still be eligible in January.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 1938
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: Detroit Lions sign an XFL Quarterback after all

Post by MikeMitchell » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:55 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:31 pm
MikeMitchell wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:56 pm
GDAWG wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:53 pm


Blough and Hodges seem unlikely for the XFL at this point as I would expect the Lions will want to keep Blough and the Steelers will want to keep Hodges. I could see Blough competing with Jeff Driskel to be the #2 behind Matt Stafford next year in Detroit and Hodges competing with Mason Rudolph for the starting job with the Steelers next year, especially if they don't draft a QB next year (I think Big Ben is done in Pittsburgh).
I know that they are unlikely. They are off the table. Sloter is now too. He’s going to finish the season on the Lions roster. My point was that these were quarterbacks that the XFL was in contact with and scouted.

Another QB, the XFL was after is Paxton Lynch. He looks like he is going to finish the season on the Steelers 53 man roster.

Any quarterbacks that are on practice squads are XFL targets. Sloter no longer is.
Sloter though is only signed for the rest of the season. He could still be eligible in January.
If Sloter finishes the season on the regular season roster. He doesn’t fall into the future contract territory. Sloter doesn’t come off the Lions roster. He is currently David Blough’s backup. Based on Kyle Sloter’s status and time in the league. He would be a restricted free agent in March. Kyle has been in the league since 2017. Also because Sloter was signed off the Cards practice squad. Those players have to be on the roster for 3 games. Lions only have 4 games left.

User avatar
LeoNY
Coach
Posts: 787
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Re: Detroit Lions sign an XFL Quarterback after all

Post by LeoNY » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:15 pm

Checked overthecap.com

MM is correct. If Kyle Sloter finishes the season on the Lions active roster. He would be a restricted free agent in March.

GDAWG
Coach
Posts: 635
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Re: Detroit Lions sign an XFL Quarterback after all

Post by GDAWG » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:23 pm

LeoNY wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:15 pm
Checked overthecap.com

MM is correct. If Kyle Sloter finishes the season on the Lions active roster. He would be a restricted free agent in March.
That's right. He was activated this week.

User avatar
LeoNY
Coach
Posts: 787
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Re: Detroit Lions sign an XFL Quarterback after all

Post by LeoNY » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:57 pm

You have to give credit to the XFL management for even being able to sell the league to players like Cardale Jones, Josh Johnson, Landry Jones, Chase Litton and others. Cardale Jones in a recent interview said that he turned down two practice squad jobs in the NFL to sign with DC. Pittsburgh reached out to Landry when Big Ben went down. Josh Johnson was on the Lions roster in September and Litton was with the Jags in October. So these guys could have waited it out and passed on the XFL altogether.

4th&long
Kicker
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Re: Detroit Lions sign an XFL Quarterback after all

Post by 4th&long » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:17 pm

LeoNY wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:57 pm
You have to give credit to the XFL management for even being able to sell the league to players like Cardale Jones, Josh Johnson, Landry Jones, Chase Litton and others. Cardale Jones in a recent interview said that he turned down two practice squad jobs in the NFL to sign with DC. Pittsburgh reached out to Landry when Big Ben went down. Josh Johnson was on the Lions roster in September and Litton was with the Jags in October. So these guys could have waited it out and passed on the XFL altogether.
Well PS guys get $8k a week x16 weeks, that's $136k without any real playtime.

XFL is paying upto $495K (we think) that's over 10 weeks. So someone like Cardale Jones getting paid at the top end, it makes $$ sense and they get actual playtime. Plus PS guys can get cut fast and the XFL looks to be more guaranteed. Same with Landry Jones.

Post Reply