Darren Rovell releases new XFL player salary figures

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Quarterback

Darren Rovell releases new XFL player salary figures

Post by LeoNY » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:38 am

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status ... 91521?s=20

Darren Rovell just tweeted this on Twitter.
JUST IN: The XFL has just sent agents of prospective players salary information. With AAF not around, the money is less. First contract is from Dec. 4 to May 31. Guaranteed pay on standard contract is $1,040 a week. Max per week is $4,947, including active roster + win bonuses.
Looks like this is a base for the standard XFL player contract. The interesting way this is framed is that the pay is going to be less than the AAF standard contract. Not sure about the activation and win bonuses that Eric Galko has mentioned in the past but this is essentially a 55K base for 6 months.

LeoNY
Quarterback

Re: Darren Rovell releases new XFL player salary figures

Post by LeoNY » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:02 pm

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/sta ... 61506?s=20

Pro Football Talk also released this. The base pay is supposed to be 55K per the season.

johnnyangryfuzzball
Quarterback

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:51 pm

LeoNY wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:38 am
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status ... 91521?s=20

Darren Rovell just tweeted this on Twitter.
JUST IN: The XFL has just sent agents of prospective players salary information. With AAF not around, the money is less. First contract is from Dec. 4 to May 31. Guaranteed pay on standard contract is $1,040 a week. Max per week is $4,947, including active roster + win bonuses.
Looks like this is a base for the standard XFL player contract. The interesting way this is framed is that the pay is going to be less than the AAF standard contract. Not sure about the activation and win bonuses that Eric Galko has mentioned in the past but this is essentially a 55K base for 6 months.
More troubling is that it's less than the CFL base salary, even on a per-week basis. It may explain why they've had trouble landing marquee talent.

Xtremedb3
Receiver

Post by Xtremedb3 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:56 pm

I think some people ran with the lowest tier numbers and called it the avg player.

Sounder
Quarterback

Post by Sounder » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:06 pm

Well it's obvious at least at the start that this isn't going to be a USFL that would at least make an effort to develop it's own brand via exclusive contracts for players who would make a name for themselves as XFL players..... more like a transient league for men to pick up a regular people paycheck so they can continue to chase their "pro" football dreams..... gotta say it's kind of underwhelming. Not sure I would risk it. But you could film a few sob story vignettes of guys struggling to make it like you see on so many shows nowadays. ("I got sixteen kids and a truck....woman done left me").
The hirings and the quality people getting involved suggest to me that there is a hunger.... the runup has been thorough..... they'll have major tv exposure...... they should make the minimum more like a flat $100,000 .....I know it's Vince's money, but if you're really gonna do this........

LeoNY
Quarterback

Post by LeoNY » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:15 pm

Until more figures are released. I think that 55k is the baseline. The league needs to clarify these numbers. How much are activation bonuses? How much are win bonuses? Are there tiers? If 55 is the base. That can be made up easily to average out to 70k per player.

The XFL is essentially competing with themselves for talent with the AAF gone. If the Alliance was still here. They would have had no choice but to raise the salaries.

Sounder
Quarterback

Post by Sounder » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:41 pm

I realize there's to be no competition..... other than CFL perhaps.....I just want to see them be an attractive alternative for quality players, people in the seats, advertisers, networks, and of course viewers.
I realize Vince has been distracted by his year in WWE with the rise of a serious rival.... and shifting of his own brands to be fully involved in the XFL relaunch..... and I guess that's why the Brad Shepard article suggesting they're not ready for February 2020. Do they need more time? .... They've come too far.

LeoNY
Quarterback

Post by LeoNY » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:49 pm

Sounder wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:41 pm
I realize there's to be no competition..... other than CFL perhaps.....I just want to see them be an attractive alternative for quality players, people in the seats, advertisers, networks, and of course viewers.
I realize Vince has been distracted by his year in WWE with the rise of a serious rival.... and shifting of his own brands to be fully involved in the XFL relaunch..... and I guess that's why the Brad Shepard article suggesting they're not ready for February 2020. Do they need more time? .... They've come too far.
The WWE and McMahon has never made more money than it is making now.

I think Mike Mitchell on XFL Xtra made the point that the XFL would love to have more time. The clock is ticking. I think the idea is to be the second highest paying pro football league in the states and to not exceed costs and run a sound business model. I doubt that there is any real trouble here and we still don’t know all the official salary figures. This is info from an agent to a few of the players.

Sounder
Quarterback

Post by Sounder » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:08 pm

I feel perhaps this is a reach..... and you would have to pay to attract a guy who is sitting on an NFL bench wishing he was starting...... he doesn't, but makes great money sitting. He possibly could be enticed to start in the XFL for half off and that would be a steal. If you could create a highest tier to allow each team to have like two of these star quality players that don't start in the NFL.... you'd have something to sell. Teddy Bridgewater easily came to mind here before Drew got hurt.