Oliver Luck interview on The XFL Draft

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Quarterback

Oliver Luck interview on The XFL Draft

Post by LeoNY » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:30 am

Oliver Luck appeared on the This is The XFL Show on Thursday Night. Fascinating interview. There’s a lot of reading in between the lines. I recommend people check it out. It’s available on the XFL Show’s YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/j9N9BAM8KJ8

Luck was asked about the eight quarterback assignments that are going to be announced before the draft on Tuesday. Oliver stated that the list of quarterbacks that are assigned were a part of the league’s eight team priority lists. Each team had a full list of potential targets and the league pursued those that were available.

The term available was a phrase Oliver Luck emphasized heavily during this interview. Luck confirmed that Landry Jones would be a part of the assigned QB group. Oliver did seem to downplay the significance of the assignments. The wording he used was interesting. Almost implying that the initial assigned eight quarterbacks are of a temporary nature. That they are just the initial group.

What stood out to me was how Oliver admitted that the process in getting players into the pool has been very complex. It sounds like the XFL is leaving the supplemental draft in November open, and the post NFL season period in January open for potential quarterbacks who come off the practice squads. The players who go from the PS to futures contracts. This happened last year in the AAF when players who ended up off the practice squad opted to play in the Alliance rather than sign a futures deal. The league is not done with their player recruitment.

As it was brought up on XFL Xtra a few weeks back. I think the league went heavy after and was hoping to land the likes of Paxton Lynch, Devlin Hodges and others. It sounds like to me that the XFL is still holding out hope for players that are currently on NFL rosters or even holding out hope for players and agents that are still on the fence.

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Oliver Luck interview on The XFL Draft

Post by MikeMitchell » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:48 am

You certainly get the impression from Oliver Luck in the interview that he is trying to downplay and temper the expectations for the assigned quarterback group.

It would never be said publicly but the message essentially is “this is the best we could do for right now”. That’s why it appears that the recruitment of tier one quarterbacks is not over after next week.

Oliver Luck mentions the NFL and how two more players were recently taken off of the XFL draft board. Eric Dungey just signed on to the Browns practice squad.

LeoNY
Quarterback

Post by LeoNY » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:20 pm

It looks and sounds like from the interview that November’s supplemental draft and early January will take on more importance post draft.

MGB01
Running Back

Post by MGB01 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:04 pm

We might as well just go ahead and declare the Steelers as team nine with Hodges and Lynch😁

Keep in mind there's gonna be a lot of movement the next couple weeks with guys coming off IR/PUP/suspension, that's going to trickle down to your lower tier players. Add to that any collegians that are either in the transfer portal or just up and enter the supplemental draft
for whatever reason and it's wise to have a secondary outlet.

johnnyangryfuzzball
Quarterback

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:31 pm

LeoNY wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:20 pm
It looks and sounds like from the interview that November’s supplemental draft and early January will take on more importance post draft.
...which is something I had suspected all along.

But I doubt they're going to get too many NFL caliber players paying only $2725 a week.

LeoNY
Quarterback

Post by LeoNY » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:48 pm

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:31 pm
LeoNY wrote:

But I doubt they're going to get too many NFL caliber players paying only $2725 a week.
I am not completely buying today’s salary info.

MGB01
Running Back

Post by MGB01 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:19 pm

LeoNY wrote:

Who says the tiers are done? If that's the average, well it would make sense if 90% of the league is tier two or less. We heard three sources with predictably three different things.

How hard is it to do accurate reporting these days? Apparently, it's somewhere between the Apollos' AAF title defense and putting it all on a Redskins/Dolphins rematch in XLIV

johnnyangryfuzzball
Quarterback

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:36 pm

MGB01 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:19 pm
LeoNY wrote:

Who says the tiers are done? If that's the average, well it would make sense if 90% of the league is tier two or less. We heard three sources with predictably three different things.

How hard is it to do accurate reporting these days? Apparently, it's somewhere between the Apollos' AAF title defense and putting it all on a Redskins/Dolphins rematch in XLIV
My suspicion is that this is probably close to being accurate. Vince is not going to throw $400 million down the drain on something that isn't viable, and let's face it, none of the leagues that paid more than that have turned a profit. This might be what Vince has determined is the level he needs to keep losses sustainable for the first year without compromising the on-field product.

As I said, it might put a serious cap on the kind of talent they can land... though the AAF also showed that you can pay $7,000 a week and still end up with mostly unknown talent if you don't have connections to the best available players.