Landry Jones signs with XFL; terms not disclosed

XFL Football discussion.
MGB01
Receiver
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Re: Landry Jones signs with XFL; terms not disclosed

Post by MGB01 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:35 pm

Firecop wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:53 pm
If Paxton Lynch keeps playing like he did in the first pre-season game he will be backing up Russell Wilson. Guess that would leave both Geno Smith and JT Barrett potentially available.
I don't know if I want Smith in the league quite honestly, the guy's regressed ever since WVU knocked off UT in Austin in 2012, the first time he started drawing #1 pick talk, and might be washing out for the final time with the Hawks now. But definitely a yes on Barrett

GregParks
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 8:09 pm

Re: Landry Jones signs with XFL; terms not disclosed

Post by GregParks » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:43 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:42 pm
@GregParks (or anyone else) -- do you have an opinion on Caylin Newton's NFL/XFL potential? Pep Hamilton is obviously pretty plugged into Howard football.
I'll be honest, don't know that much about him. He seems pretty decorated for that level of play, however. He's a guy that I'm sure will at least get a look in both leagues (depending greatly of course on his performance in the upcoming season). Hamilton's association with Howard can only help.
@gregmparks

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: Landry Jones signs with XFL; terms not disclosed

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:09 pm

Shooter. I like that analogy. Slip one by the goalie.

In hindsight. Your idea makes perfect sense from a business standpoint. It makes the top tier players seem more special, and exclusive, and ties the most important players to their ideal landing spots. These next seven signings are all going to get significant attention. In a perfect world, they are putting on their team jerseys before the draft on October since they figure to be distributed to their eight respective teams before that.

It remains to be seen how the league accomplishes all of the distributions of the elite eight. This idea was born from Johnny Manziel expressing his desire to play in Houston for June Jones. Let’s see if the league wants him and if he becomes part of the eight as well. Only time will tell.

MGB01
Receiver
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Re: Landry Jones signs with XFL; terms not disclosed

Post by MGB01 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:31 pm

Wonder if a quick stopover in Philly is in the near-future for Jones with Sudfeld out and Cody Kessler in concussion protocol

LeoNY
Quarterback
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Re: Landry Jones signs with XFL; terms not disclosed

Post by LeoNY » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:35 pm

MGB01 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:31 pm
Wonder if a quick stopover in Philly is in the near-future for Jones with Sudfeld out and Cody Kessler in concussion protocol
This is where the terms of Landry’s contract are interesting. Before today, Oliver Luck has stated that players would be able to sign with the NFL before the XFL draft in October. But since all players in the XFL draft pool are not under league contract. They are free to sign with NFL teams anyway.

However.... Once a player is drafted and signed to an XFL contract. They can’t leave the XFL until after the season ends because they will be under an XFL contract that prohibits them from doing so.

There’s only 1 XFL player right now under contract. That’s Landry Jones. Since he is signed to a contract. Does that mean that he can’t leave for the NFL until after the XFL season ends?

MGB01
Receiver
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Re: Landry Jones signs with XFL; terms not disclosed

Post by MGB01 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:28 am

Figured I'd put it out there, Josh Johnson actually has a legit shot to be Stafford's backup in Detroit and Philly is a legit SB contender that all the sudden has QB issues that could drop them back to 7-9 real quick: Wentz isn't known for his durability, and now both his backups are/could be out for a few weeks. If it's a binding deal, the league got a huge dub with a guy who's clearly quality backup material (unless you have coach with a Nathan Peterman fetish), if there's an NFL out it's disappointing but somewhat expected.

Wearing my WSU hat it sucks for Andre Dillard (who missed the block on the play), who probably just dropped back under Halapoulaati Vaitai on the depth chart--I kid, maybe :|

LeoNY
Quarterback
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Re: Landry Jones signs with XFL; terms not disclosed

Post by LeoNY » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:04 am

MGB01 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:28 am
Figured I'd put it out there, Josh Johnson actually has a legit shot to be Stafford's backup in Detroit and Philly is a legit SB contender that all the sudden has QB issues that could drop them back to 7-9 real quick: Wentz isn't known for his durability, and now both his backups are/could be out for a few weeks. If it's a binding deal, the league got a huge dub with a guy who's clearly quality backup material (unless you have coach with a Nathan Peterman fetish), if there's an NFL out it's disappointing but somewhat expected.

Wearing my WSU hat it sucks for Andre Dillard (who missed the block on the play), who probably just dropped back under Halapoulaati Vaitai on the depth chart--I kid, maybe :|
The Eagles have four quarterbacks on their roster. Nate Sudfeld should be back by week 2 of the regular season.

Cody Kessler’s concussion probably means that he is going to miss next week’s game.

Clayton Thorson is the teams fifth round pick.

The Eagles are certainly going to keep 3 quarterbacks. Wentz, Thorson and Kessler to start the year. Then Thorson or Kessler will be cut when Sudfeld returns.

The real issue is Philly renting a quarterback for a couple of weeks. Whomever comes in is not going to win a job. Just someone to play in the final two preseason games. Kessler will be back before the start of the season.

MGB01
Receiver
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Re: Landry Jones signs with XFL; terms not disclosed

Post by MGB01 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:28 am

Is Amir Hall on a roster? If not I figure he'd be the guy to do it (same with Brandon Silvers) and it's a bonus for the XFL since it's an extra two weeks of preseason reps.

User avatar
johnnyangryfuzzball
Running Back
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:22 pm

Re: Landry Jones signs with XFL; terms not disclosed

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:55 am

MGB01 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:35 pm
Firecop wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:53 pm
If Paxton Lynch keeps playing like he did in the first pre-season game he will be backing up Russell Wilson. Guess that would leave both Geno Smith and JT Barrett potentially available.
I don't know if I want Smith in the league quite honestly, the guy's regressed ever since WVU knocked off UT in Austin in 2012, the first time he started drawing #1 pick talk, and might be washing out for the final time with the Hawks now. But definitely a yes on Barrett
That year was such a weak class for quarterbacks... which everyone kind of knew going into it. The only guys still in the league other than Smith... at least by my cursory glance... are Matt Barkley, who's doing quite well in Buffalo as Josh Allen's backup, and Mike Glennon, who's fighting for a roster spot in Oakland. The fact that there are no bona fide starters that emerged from that class is a real indictment.

I think there are probably other names from that class that the XFL might be more willing to consider: McGloin, Nassib, maybe even Manuel (though because he's officially retired he might have to wait until his Chiefs contract expires in March; not sure about the mechanics of that). Of course they already have Landry Jones. At least Manuel and McGloin had some modest success at the pro level. I'd laugh a little bit if Jeff Tuel ended up making his comeback in the XFL because that'd be a classic Doug Whaley move.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 1535
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: Landry Jones signs with XFL; terms not disclosed

Post by MikeMitchell » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:43 pm

LeoNY wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:42 pm
GregParks wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:12 pm
LeoNY wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:42 pm
This is getting a lot of play online right now from all NFL news sources.
Even in the middle of NFL training camps and preseason?!?! ;)
Lol

Somehow someway it’s one of the top trends on Twitter right now. On the day of NFL games no less.

The XFL should postpone their draft, player signings, league rules, team schedules, ticket sales, training camps, the jersey reveals, the season and the playoffs because they all happen during the NFL preseason, NFL regular season, the NFL playoffs, the NFL free agency period and The NFL draft.
This is pretty funny. The Landry Jones story did get a lot of traction. It was one of the top trends on Twitter and on social media. Also Fox and ESPN treated it like a big deal and the major news guys like Ian Rappaport and others reported on it.

Post Reply