XFL Tampa chooses practice facilities for 2020 season

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Quarterback

XFL Tampa chooses practice facilities for 2020 season

Post by LeoNY » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:12 am

https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/11 ... 54144?s=20

https://www.plantcityobserver.com/xfl-t ... lant-city/
The XFL Football League has long been a topic of passion for avid football fans.

Some think the idea is genius as it vows to offer an outlet for football fanatics to continue enjoying their preferred sport long after the Super Bowl while simultaneously offering players another potential route to the NFL or to play for a few more years before they officially retire. Others are less than optimistic and remember its Icarus flight nearly two decades ago, when it lasted merely one season before burning out. However, owner Vince McMahon is determined to make it succeed this time and is setting all the chess pieces in place to take home the glory when games begin in 2020
Plant City might be the perfect place for its athletes to prepare for a heavy year of play.

The agreement between the City of Plant City and Alpha Entertainment, LLC, which owns the XFL, will offer portions of the Plant City Stadium facility for practices, training, offices, a media center and other similar items. With a two-year term, the contract can be reevaluated and expanded if needed.

During training, the entire team and its coaching staff — approximately 70 to 80 people — will relocate to Plant City for approximately five months. Whether they’re staying in hotel rooms or renting homes, it’s sure to be a boost to the local economy. The players will fully immerse themselves into the community and for a few months a year, Plant City will once again have a major sports team housed in its back yard.
City Manager Bill McDaniel said the renovations to the stadium that the league requires will be fully funded by Alpha Entertainment, LLC. The group reached out to the city around the state time the Sheffield Sports Village deal was coming to an end. The timing was perfect and McDaniel joked that even though he isn’t even remotely interested in football, he dove right into his research to see if this would be a good fit for the city.

Currently, the facility is used by the International Softball Federation and the XFL wants to do many interior renovations before the training starts. They’re trying to get in early to get started and are in the process of speaking with the current tenants to see if they can get early access to portions of the property to begin the preliminary work. The renovations will begin Nov. 2 and the team hopes to be ready to roll by the time December training begins.

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Re: XFL Tampa chooses practice facilities for 2020 season

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:03 pm

The clock is ticking on all of this. The teams and league are working feverishly to get this done. Setting up training and work facilities for all eight teams is an expensive but necessary must for the teams and league. A direct tie in to the league’s quality of play.

Tank55
Quarterback

Post by Tank55 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:09 pm

How accessible is Plant City to Tampa media? I see it's outside of the city; looks like half an hour from Raymond James?

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:51 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:09 pm
How accessible is Plant City to Tampa media? I see it's outside of the city; looks like half an hour from Raymond James?
That’s about right with the distance. Just east on I-4.

With all due respect to the media. I think the setup is more about being in a place that is fairly inexpensive in comparison to building an entire facility on your own.

It sounds like there may be some alterations or small renovations but it’s smart from a business standpoint versus having to construct something completely from scratch on your own.

Plant City is a place for XFL Tampa to have their own team headquarters and practice. A place to do that without having to build anything. Any media coverage would be a bonus.

johnnyangryfuzzball
Running Back

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:51 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:51 pm
Tank55 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:09 pm
That’s about right with the distance. Just east on I-4.

With all due respect to the media. I think the setup is more about being in a place that is fairly inexpensive in comparison to building an entire facility on your own.

It sounds like there may be some alterations or small renovations but it’s smart from a business standpoint versus having to construct something completely from scratch on your own.

Plant City is a place for XFL Tampa to have their own team headquarters and practice. A place to do that without having to build anything. Any media coverage would be a bonus.
We all remember how the Orlando Apollos ended up commuting all the way from Kingsland, Georgia in the AAF... and they still had the league's best record, so it wasn't that much of a distraction in the end. A half-hour commute is going to be nothing.

Tank55
Quarterback

Post by Tank55 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:12 pm

Not trying to throw shade; just curious how out of the way Plant City is perceived by locals. Interested to hear Greg Parks' thoughts.

GregParks
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:15 pm

Plant City is about 2.5 hours from me, so I can’t call myself “local” nor profess to know what the pulse in the area is on Plant City.

I have been there once...they have a pretty nice Strawberry Festival every year. Saw Sawyer Brown in concert at the Festival. That’s my Plant City analysis :D
@gregmparks

Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Post by Shooter McGav1n » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:20 pm

Plant City is the former spring training home of the Cincinnati Reds, so they’re getting a professional level training facility, albeit one likely in need of some upgrades and renovation. They’ll have plenty of room to house all of XFLTB’s operations in one spot, which won’t be the case for every franchise. I’d say the team and the league are feeling pretty fortunate to get this deal done. I can’t help but think of the stark contrast between this league and the AAF. As mentioned previously, the AAF’s Orlando franchise had to travel out of state to train. Executives with the Salt Lake franchise had to work out of a local McDonalds until the league eventually sent shipping containers for them to work in. Hopefully this symbol of things to come.

LeoNY
Quarterback

Post by LeoNY » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 pm

Shooter McGav1n wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:20 pm
Plant City is the former spring training home of the Cincinnati Reds, so they’re getting a professional level training facility, albeit one likely in need of some upgrades and renovation. They’ll have plenty of room to house all of XFLTB’s operations in one spot, which won’t be the case for every franchise. I’d say the team and the league are feeling pretty fortunate to get this deal done. I can’t help but think of the stark contrast between this league and the AAF. As mentioned previously, the AAF’s Orlando franchise had to travel out of state to train. Executives with the Salt Lake franchise had to work out of a local McDonalds until the league eventually sent shipping containers for them to work in. Hopefully this symbol of things to come.
This stuff is boring for most but important.