20 Free Agent Quarterbacks

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
Running Back

20 Free Agent Quarterbacks

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:22 pm

This is a list of 20 Free Agent Quarterbacks, that are currently available on the open market. As of December 27th 2018.

It's kind of tricky because no one on this list is currently under contract with a professional football team. So I am leaving out any pending CFL free agents or any quarterbacks that are under contract with The AAF. I am also leaving out any NFL QB's that are currently on practice squads like a Cardale Jones or Connor Cook who I feel could both be targets for The XFL...…

The AAF will be starting their league wide training camp next week and by the end of the month, they will be trimming their rosters down from 75 to 52. The CFL's free agency period begins on February 19th. Another thing to watch is The NFL's expansion of rosters at the end of their regular season. The NFL rosters expand from 53 to 90. Players are signed to future contracts. Several NFL teams have had workouts with street free agents in the last few weeks as a preemptive move towards expanding their rosters. This will come in the next 4 weeks as teams seasons end. From the non-playoff teams to eventually the playoff teams. By the end of the Superbowl, all 32 teams will have expanded their rosters.

Whether The XFL can convince the players that sign futures deals to commit to their league remains to be seen. I don't expect that number to be very high. In this case, it really only has to be 8 quarterbacks signed. Oliver Luck's experience with NFL Europe suggests that he may try and convince the fringe NFL QB to come to the XFL, so that they can be a starter and get game experience. Despite the potential 300k over a 10 game schedule, it's still a tough sell because the league will have to convince a quarterback to sit out the entire summer and eventually fall/winter before playing in February 2020 for The XFL. The 8 hired XFL head coaches may factor into all of this, in terms of selling the quarterbacks on making this type of career decision.

Also not included on the list below is players with any history of domestic violence. See a talented but troubled Trevone Boykin. I do think that the league will give certain players a second chance with a strict one strike and you're out policy like a Chad Kelly, but anyone with a history of domestic violence, will not be welcome to the league.

Be forewarned, this is not a sexy list. Outside of the first name, which I think is a long shot. There are not any Tebows or Johnny Manziels on this list. Unless those players ask for their releases. They are not options right now.

The bottom group is what you are looking at from a realistic standpoint. There are actually hundreds of quarterbacks that are free agents, that have been left off of this list. Players who went undrafted and haven't found a league to stick to. Mostly small school stars with no NFL experience. The list below is a compilation of young veterans with some NFL roster experience. Some like recent 1st round picks in Manuel and Lynch. For the sake of argument, I have added two players who are virtually retired in Josh Freeman and Vince Young, and one in Sam Bradford, who is damaged goods and has so much money in his bank account, that I doubt he would go play for The XFL.

There are two wildcards not on this list that were college quarterbacks who are now NFL Wide Receivers. One is Terrelle Pryor. 28 years old and a world of talent. A current free agent that is probably looking for one last shot in The NFL. Could The XFL convince him to try quarterback again?.... Then there's another Ohio State quarterback star in Braxton Miller. He is currently on the practice squad of The Eagles. Drafted by Houston in the 3rd round and then cut, Miller is still trying to transition to receiver. Would The XFL try and convince him to play quarterback again?... Just some food for thought.

PRO FOOTBALL FREE AGENT QUARTERBACKS

COLIN KAEPERNICK (31)
CHAD KELLY (24)
E.J. MANUEL (28)
LANDRY JONES (29)
JOEL STAVE (26)
PAXTON LYNCH (24)
BRYCE PETTY (27)
JERROD JOHNSON (30)
RYAN MALLETT (30)
MATT MCGLOIN (29)
JOSH FREEMAN (30)