XFL to explore potential rule changes

XFL Football discussion.
User avatar
Andibald
Running Back
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:38 pm

XFL to explore potential rule changes

Post by Andibald » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:43 am

XFL sends team to Mississippi to explore potential rule changes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... pIRY0eFQvo

User avatar
MikeMitchell
Receiver
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: XFL to explore potential rule changes

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:52 pm

Andibald wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:43 am
XFL sends team to Mississippi to explore potential rule changes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... pIRY0eFQvo
Fascinating stuff. It’s a brilliant move but I have mixed feelings about it.

I don’t want the XFL having their ideas become public. Competitors are likely to steal them and call the ideas their own, since The XFL doesn’t play until 2020. You want to be first.

The conversions from different parts in the red zone is a long forgotten original XFL idea. Started in the playoffs in 2001. 1 point from the 2, 2 points from the 5, 3 points from the 10 yard line.

The kickoffs seem like an Oliver Luck idea. He wants to eliminate touchbacks and bring back one of the most exciting plays in football, the kick return. That could be a number of things. Moving kickoffs back to the 25. Having kick cover guys wait till the ball is caught.

User avatar
Andibald
Running Back
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Re: XFL to explore potential rule changes

Post by Andibald » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:00 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:52 pm
Andibald wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:43 am
XFL sends team to Mississippi to explore potential rule changes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... pIRY0eFQvo
Fascinating stuff. It’s a brilliant move but I have mixed feelings about it.

I don’t want the XFL having their ideas become public. Competitors are likely to steal them and call the ideas their own, since The XFL doesn’t play until 2020. You want to be first.

The conversions from different parts in the red zone is a long forgotten original XFL idea. Started in the playoffs in 2001. 1 point from the 2, 2 points from the 5, 3 points from the 10 yard line.

The kickoffs seem like an Oliver Luck idea. He wants to eliminate touchbacks and bring back one of the most exciting plays in football, the kick return. That could be a number of things. Moving kickoffs back to the 25. Having kick cover guys wait till the ball is caught.
They may be trial ballooning some of these to get some fan feedback. So far, I like them.
I like the CFL halo rule for punts as well.

User avatar
XFL_FAN
Running Back
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:43 pm

Re: XFL to explore potential rule changes

Post by XFL_FAN » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:10 pm

1.Running Clock (even if out of bounds) outside 2 minutes
2. 25-30 second play clock
3.5 yard punt halo
4.Keeping the punt/kickoff

Seems good to me!
Not sure who I'm rooting for in the XFL but I'm really leaning towards the NY team 8-)

User avatar
MikeMitchell
Receiver
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: XFL to explore potential rule changes

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:38 pm

Andibald wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:00 pm
MikeMitchell wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:52 pm
Andibald wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:43 am
XFL sends team to Mississippi to explore potential rule changes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... pIRY0eFQvo
Fascinating stuff. It’s a brilliant move but I have mixed feelings about it.

I don’t want the XFL having their ideas become public. Competitors are likely to steal them and call the ideas their own, since The XFL doesn’t play until 2020. You want to be first.

The conversions from different parts in the red zone is a long forgotten original XFL idea. Started in the playoffs in 2001. 1 point from the 2, 2 points from the 5, 3 points from the 10 yard line.

The kickoffs seem like an Oliver Luck idea. He wants to eliminate touchbacks and bring back one of the most exciting plays in football, the kick return. That could be a number of things. Moving kickoffs back to the 25. Having kick cover guys wait till the ball is caught.
They may be trial ballooning some of these to get some fan feedback. So far, I like them.
I like the CFL halo rule for punts as well.
I love the CFL ref cam which is similar to the handheld bubba cam from The XFL. The ref behind the QBs has an amazing view.

I also like when the XFL had 1 forward motion player on offense. It’s jarring at first to American viewers but I think 1 is better than the multiple in the CFL.

Widening the field by 1 or 2 yards would be amazing. It would make a big difference especially with 11 players. More space. The issue is retro fitting these nfl fields for that.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
Receiver
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: XFL to explore potential rule changes

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:47 pm

XFL_FAN wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:10 pm
1.Running Clock (even if out of bounds) outside 2 minutes
2. 25-30 second play clock
3.5 yard punt halo
4.Keeping the punt/kickoff

Seems good to me!
The running clock should also be on conversions. Except on the final play of the half, game or overtime.

I am a big 12 minute quarters guy. I think if the league wants to realistically end games in 2 hours and change. This is a must. Football games ultimately stop due to injuries and penalties. Less procedural penalties should be called. Like not lining up correctly etc

They should also abandon switching sides of the field at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarter. No need for this. It slows down the rythym of a game.

The XFL can test out so many of these things. Play a game with 12 minute quarters and a running clock. See how long it takes.

User avatar
Andibald
Running Back
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Re: XFL to explore potential rule changes

Post by Andibald » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:58 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:47 pm

The running clock should also be on conversions. Except on the final play of the half, game or overtime.

I am a big 12 minute quarters guy. I think if the league wants to realistically end games in 2 hours and change. This is a must. Football games ultimately stop due to injuries and penalties. Less procedural penalties should be called. Like not lining up correctly etc
I think I heard Oliver Luck mention getting the games done in under 3hrs...backing off a bit from earlier 2-2.5hrs.

Also, from facebook:
Fran Stuchbury
15 hrs
From an XFL instagram video XFL Senior Vice President, Football Operations Doug Whaley said under two minutes the clock will stop for 10 seconds after each play, that way teams with a lead can't run out the clock out.
I would rather keep the 15min quarters while using the running clock as cutting 12 minutes from the game clock will cut out too many plays. Keeping the clock running until the final 2min along with a 20-30sec play clock and no (or limited) timeouts will cut overall time down considerably.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
Receiver
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: XFL to explore potential rule changes

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:06 pm

Andibald wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:58 pm
MikeMitchell wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:47 pm

The running clock should also be on conversions. Except on the final play of the half, game or overtime.

I am a big 12 minute quarters guy. I think if the league wants to realistically end games in 2 hours and change. This is a must. Football games ultimately stop due to injuries and penalties. Less procedural penalties should be called. Like not lining up correctly etc
I think I heard Oliver Luck mention getting the games done in under 3hrs...backing off a bit from earlier 2-2.5hrs.

Also, from facebook:
Fran Stuchbury
15 hrs
From an XFL instagram video XFL Senior Vice President, Football Operations Doug Whaley said under two minutes the clock will stop for 10 seconds after each play, that way teams with a lead can't run out the clock out.
I would rather keep the 15min quarters while using the running clock as cutting 12 minutes from the game clock will cut out too many plays. Keeping the clock running until the final 2min along with a 20-30sec play clock and no (or limited) timeouts will cut overall time down considerably.
The XFL has to eliminate kneeling to run clock. Banish it, you have to run plays and attempt to get 1st downs. I agree with you on cutting time considerably. Whaley’s idea is probably designed to insure that there are more scoring chances at the end of halves/games. The clock stoppage is a back door way of trying to eliminate the kneel downs.

User avatar
Andibald
Running Back
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Re: XFL to explore potential rule changes

Post by Andibald » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:09 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:06 pm
Andibald wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:58 pm
MikeMitchell wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:47 pm

The running clock should also be on conversions. Except on the final play of the half, game or overtime.

I am a big 12 minute quarters guy. I think if the league wants to realistically end games in 2 hours and change. This is a must. Football games ultimately stop due to injuries and penalties. Less procedural penalties should be called. Like not lining up correctly etc
I think I heard Oliver Luck mention getting the games done in under 3hrs...backing off a bit from earlier 2-2.5hrs.

Also, from facebook:
Fran Stuchbury
15 hrs
From an XFL instagram video XFL Senior Vice President, Football Operations Doug Whaley said under two minutes the clock will stop for 10 seconds after each play, that way teams with a lead can't run out the clock out.
I would rather keep the 15min quarters while using the running clock as cutting 12 minutes from the game clock will cut out too many plays. Keeping the clock running until the final 2min along with a 20-30sec play clock and no (or limited) timeouts will cut overall time down considerably.
The XFL has to eliminate kneeling to run clock. Banish it, you have to run plays and attempt to get 1st downs. I agree with you on cutting time considerably. Whaley’s idea is probably designed to insure that there are more scoring chances at the end of halves/games. The clock stoppage is a back door way of trying to eliminate the kneel downs.
Yes...stop the kneel downs.
I think it was/is the Arena Football League that forces teams to gain yards to keep the clock moving with under 1min to play.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
Receiver
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: XFL to explore potential rule changes

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:31 pm

Yes...stop the kneel downs.
I think it was/is the Arena Football League that forces teams to gain yards to keep the clock moving with under 1min to play.
[/quote]

I get where Doug Whaley is coming from and where they are going with this.

If I was coach of The New York Empire and my team led The Los Angeles Archangels by 6 with 2 minutes left and we had the ball. The league’s rule is no kneel downs. So what would I do? Run 3 straight QB sneaks maybe even with my tailback at QB. Just wait 25 seconds to snap the ball and fall forward with my best ball handler. Whaley is trying to prevent coaches from gaming the system.

Post Reply