June Jones initially turned down XFL offer to become Head Coach/GM in Houston

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

June Jones initially turned down XFL offer to become Head Coach/GM in Houston

Post by MikeMitchell » Mon May 13, 2019 10:00 pm

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats held a press conference today to announce June Jones stepping down as Associate Head Coach & Offensive Coordinator. It was a joint press conference where Jones fielded questions from the local media. Along with Hamilton’s new offensive coordinator Tommy Condell. Classy move all around by Hamilton and their head coach Orlando Steinauer.

The video for this conference is available at the teams website http://ticats.ca/

Jones went into details, as to why he was leaving the CFL to take this opportunity in Houston with the XFL. June Jones reveals that the XFL has been in contact with him for awhile and that he has been keeping track of what they have been doing. June says that he knew that the AAF wouldn’t last. He thought they were haphazardly put together. Jones admits that he almost didn’t stay with Hamilton, in anticipation of potentially joining the XFL.

The big reveal in this conference was that Jones initially turned down the XFL. He told them No. The league didn’t abandon their interest in him. They told him to think it over. It took some time but Jones finally agreed to accept the job in Houston. “The more, I sat down and thought about it. The more, I realized that this may be the funnest opportunity, that I will ever have as a coach.” Jones ended up calling the XFL back after initially turning them down. The XFL, presumably Luck told him that they would wait.

He’s really excited about getting a chance to find the diamonds in the rough, and put his own team together. Jones cites the names of players, that he has found and worked with in the past, who had very little fan fare and ended up having long pro careers. Jones is excited about finding quarterbacks and receivers. Sounds like it being in Houston, but more specifically, being the GM was the big hook for him. Jones said during this presser, that he is in a position where he doesn’t have to do this, but he wants to do it.

Dynamofan1
Receiver

Re: June Jones initially turned down XFL offer to become Head Coach/GM in Houston

Post by Dynamofan1 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:51 pm

Thanks Mike Mitchell. Good job of keeping us updated. Boy I hope we get Johnny!
I want to see him make it.

GoDogs
Receiver

Re: June Jones initially turned down XFL offer to become Head Coach/GM in Houston

Post by GoDogs » Tue May 14, 2019 2:17 am

Dynamofan1 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:51 pm
Ditto MM!

Houston being Aggie land, this would be HUGE!! Turnouts would be tremendous locally (Houston football market was spot on). Can’t wait for a Jones Style of offense (saw a lot of it against Hawaii), with Johnny football running it would be icing on the cake!!!

Damn, 2020 can’t get here fast enough!!

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Wed May 15, 2019 11:03 am

Dynamofan1 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:51 pm
You’re welcome. I noticed that some CFL based sites and XFL sites used this post.

If Johnny gets into the XFL. He’s probably going to be on a one strike and you’re out policy. He has to prove that he is fully committed to the game of football.

Andibald
Coach

Post by Andibald » Wed May 15, 2019 11:44 am

MikeMitchell wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:00 pm

The big reveal in this conference was that Jones initially turned down the XFL. He told them No. The league didn’t abandon their interest in him. They told him to think it over. It took some time but Jones finally agreed to accept the job in Houston. “The more, I sat down and thought about it. The more, I realized that this may be the funnest opportunity, that I will ever have as a coach.” Jones ended up calling the XFL back after initially turning them down. The XFL, presumably Luck told him that they would wait.
I wonder if my speculation, that Glanville was the fall back guy, was correct? And now, where will Glanville be? TB or HOU?

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Wed May 15, 2019 1:58 pm

Andibald wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:44 am
MikeMitchell wrote:

I wonder if my speculation, that Glanville was the fall back guy, was correct? And now, where will Glanville be? TB or HOU?
That could be the delay. Scary thing for Trestman is that Glanville probably wants to work with June in Houston now.

XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN » Wed May 15, 2019 2:16 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:58 pm
Andibald wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:44 am
MikeMitchell wrote:

That could be the delay. Scary thing for Trestman is that Glanville probably wants to work with June in Houston now.
Glanville will probably end up in Houston. That's unfortunate for XFL TB fans...
Teams I'm Thinking About Rooting For:

1.Dallas
2.DC
3.Houston
4.LA
5.NY
6.Seattle
7.Tampa Bay
8.St. Louis

Tank55
Quarterback

Post by Tank55 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:20 pm

If they're dead set on a DC born before Pearl Harbor, maybe they give Monte Kiffin a call.