Jonathan Hayes to be named XFL St. Louis Head Coach/GM?

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
Coach

Jonathan Hayes to be named XFL St. Louis Head Coach/GM?

Post by MikeMitchell » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:44 pm

Martin Kilcoyne, The Sports Director of Fox Tv in St. Louis just tweeted this bit of information on social media a little while ago.

If this is true. No disrespect to Jonathan Hayes but this is a disappointing hire. Reminiscent of the original XFL’s hires of Jim Skipper and Kippy Brown. Two long time respected NFL assistants who had no head coaching experience.

https://twitter.com/martinkilcoyne2/sta ... 70368?s=20

Martin Kilcoyne (@martinkilcoyne2) Tweeted:
Strong indication that the XFL coach for St. Louis will be Jonathan Hayes.
Former #Bengals assistant coach. Also former #NFL Tight End for Chiefs and Steelers. Sidenote, his son Jaxson is gonna be Top 10 NBA pick this summer.

SamTheRam28
Running Back

Re: Jonathan Hayes to be named XFL St. Louis Head Coach/GM?

Post by SamTheRam28 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:01 am

What? This makes no sense. Could they find nobody that wanted the job?
St. Louis Stallions

MikeMitchell
Coach

Post by MikeMitchell » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:45 am

SamTheRam28 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:01 am
What? This makes no sense. Could they find nobody that wanted the job?
This would be an off the scrap heap type hire. I know that Hayes has been a terrific assistant coach for years and is really good with tight ends. He’s a respected veteran in football circles but he has no coordinator experience. No head coaching experience. Just a bad hire.

If this is true. This is a bad hire by the league. I don’t care how well he interviewed or how impressive he is as a person. The league needed to do better here.

At least coaches like Linehan or Haslett have Head Coaching and Coordinator experience. They wouldn’t have been exciting choices but they have decent resumes.

I hope that this sports director is wrong.

GDAWG
Quarterback

Post by GDAWG » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:31 am

Never even heard of this guy. I had heard of Pep Hamilton before he was in the XFL because of his time as OC of the Colts.

If he's the St. Louis coach, the XFL needs to embrace former Rams like Isaac Bruce, Orlando Pace and Kurt Warner. I'd stay away from Marshall Faulk due to he way he left the NFL Network.

MikeMitchell
Coach

Post by MikeMitchell » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:03 am

GDAWG wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:31 am
Never even heard of this guy. I had heard of Pep Hamilton before he was in the XFL because of his time as OC of the Colts.

If he's the St. Louis coach, the XFL needs to embrace former Rams like Isaac Bruce, Orlando Pace and Kurt Warner. I'd stay away from Marshall Faulk due to he way he left the NFL Network.
The XFL is going to take a public relations beating on this hire.

They might need to hire former Rams just to offset the Hayes hire. If it happens.

tshanks
Kicker

Post by tshanks » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:20 am

Might be a B.S. rumor. Maybe he's being hired as an assistant coach, and the rumor machine got it wrong?
Lover of the game, and looking forward to Spring football. Reporting on the Seattle XFL franchise and the league in general.

SamTheRam28
Running Back

Post by SamTheRam28 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:46 am

tshanks wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:20 am
Might be a B.S. rumor. Maybe he's being hired as an assistant coach, and the rumor machine got it wrong?
I thought that too, and I seriously hope that's the case. At this point, even Haslett would be far better.
St. Louis Stallions

craig
Kicker

Post by craig » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:16 am

Hayes and Jim Haslett were on the same Bengals staff. Maybe, Hayes is coming to St. Louis to be Haslett's OC.

CB

MikeMitchell
Coach

Post by MikeMitchell » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:31 am

craig wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:16 am
Hayes and Jim Haslett were on the same Bengals staff. Maybe, Hayes is coming to St. Louis to be Haslett's OC.

CB
Anything is possible. I was told back in late February by sources close to The XFL and Jim Haslett, that there was talks between both parties for The St. Louis job. Those talks ended with both parties mutually deciding not to make a deal. Source close to Haslett told me that he had cold feet about going back to STL. A source close to The XFL, told me that Haslett didn’t interview well and that they weren’t sure if he was the right man for the job. They want candidates that are 100 percent all in.

Could things have changed between both parties since? It’s possible that both sides had a change of heart and re-entered talks recently, but I haven’t heard anything about that.

steinerfhc
Receiver

Post by steinerfhc » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:42 am

No disrespect to Hayes but if that's really the best you can do for the one team you needed to make the biggest impact in to regain hope for the football fans in this area. This ISN'T the kind of hire you go with. You need someone that would create some buzz and the other coaches have that and had experience. That was the other coaches so for at less had and Hayes doesn't fit that. OC ok that's fine but HC? You may as well just went after Bruce no matter how "gimmicky" it is, at less people know who he.