Redblacks offensive coordinator Jaime Elizondo resigns, plans to take XFL job

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Redblacks offensive coordinator Jaime Elizondo resigns, plans to take XFL job

Post by MikeMitchell » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:51 pm

It's hard posting news on this day. You never know who is looking to hood wink people on April Fools.

https://3downnation.com/2019/04/01/redb ... e-xfl-job/

3Down Nation's Justin Dunk and CFL.ca, among others are reporting that Ottawa Redblacks Offensive Coordinator Jaime Elizondo is leaving the CFL to join Marc Trestman's staff in Tampa. If this report is true. The two do have working history with one another. Elizondo is a coveted assistant up in Canada, who has done great work up there. If this is true, Elizondo is probably going to coordinate the Tampa offense and be Trestman's right hand man. Perhaps as an assistant head coach.

In an interview that Marc Trestman had with Mike Bianchi on the Open Mike show on March 7th. Trestman mentioned that he was going to hire some staff but that most of them won't go under contract until June 1st.

Joker
Running Back

Re: Redblacks offensive coordinator Jaime Elizondo resigns, plans to take XFL job

Post by Joker » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:44 pm

The plot thickens...

ELIZONDO QUITS: Ottawa Redblacks stunned and angry with offensive co-ordinator

https://leaderpost.com/sports/football/ ... 778b184354

You think the Ottawa Redblacks are just a bit ticked off with Jaime Elizondo?

In a world where words are usually chosen carefully and positively, the headline on the Redblacks’ brief press release early Monday afternoon: “Elizondo quits on Redblacks.”

The offensive co-ordinator dropped the bombshell on head coach Rick Campbell in a Friday afternoon phone conversation. To say the team was surprised would be an understatement. A story on the 3DownNation website suggested Elizondo will work for head coach Marc Trestman in Tampa Bay in the new XFL — which will begin play in 2020. You can bet that is gnawing at the Redblacks, too — especially when there was never any contact made, usually a courtesy.

Said Campbell: “Usually people call — one head coach to another – and say, ‘Listen, I’m thinking about hiring someone.’ It catches you even more off guard because there’s no communication or anything. You kind of feel duped, it’s like a choreographed move to kind of spring it on you. I’ve never heard from anyone, all I heard was from Jaime saying he had a job and he was gone.

“It’s not typical for people to do it this way, bolting for another job— this usually doesn’t happen if it’s not for a family reason, especially when we’re six weeks from training camp.”
Fan of the XFL from the beginning. You may remember me from the original XFLboard.

MarkNelson
XFLBoard Correspondent

Re: Redblacks offensive coordinator Jaime Elizondo resigns, plans to take XFL job

Post by MarkNelson » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:24 pm

Joker wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:44 pm
Said Campbell: “Usually people call — one head coach to another – and say, ‘Listen, I’m thinking about hiring someone.’ It catches you even more off guard because there’s no communication or anything. You kind of feel duped, it’s like a choreographed move to kind of spring it on you. I’ve never heard from anyone, all I heard was from Jaime saying he had a job and he was gone.
Ouch! Trestman is not making friends in this move. Hopefully he makes a call and apologizes for the sleight. The coaching community is relatively small, and it does not pay to make enemies.

Tank55
Quarterback

Post by Tank55 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:59 pm

Sounds like there's some awkwardness with coaches not officially getting the green light to fill staffs until 6/1, but obviously anyone jumping from the CFL needs to be out of there well beforehand.

BengalErnst
Receiver

Post by BengalErnst » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:13 pm

Hopefully this opens the door for some of the CFL talent to come on down to the XFL for a pay raise. The QBs in that league are better than the ones in the Alliance league.