Rule Changes: What Do You Think?

XFL Football discussion.
PostFootball
Kicker

Re: Rule Changes: What Do You Think?

Post by PostFootball » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:42 pm

No Punts? So you propose a team having to go for it on 4th down inside there own 5 yard line? Punting is a part of the game that is present to keep play fair and even. removing punts risks early blow outs on a few bad or lucky bounces or penalties (there still will be penalties) against a team. Punting is necessary to keep game even without forcing a team to do risky and/or dangerous things. How will you attract QB's if you put them in position to throw tons of INT's and make them look bad?

Punting does not delay the game in any way. the time is moving during a punt and it wastes no less time than a long pass play would. I go to tons of D2 college games at my Alma matta and they can punt too. if they took away half time and did not stop clocks every in-completion, their games will be 2 hours too. I think the model to follow is here and Soccer. Most soccer games play for 1 hour and 30 minutes and take 2 hours to play. It can be done

Andibald
Running Back

Post by Andibald » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:30 pm

How does a team usually find itself inside their own 5yd line? Usually from a punt or a goal line stand. If punts are eliminated, the first can't happen and if the red zone/goal line stand happens, that means the other team did not score on the previous possession. Give the team good field position after a score, either by moving the kick off back to the 20yd line or placing the ball at the 40yd line to start. With 4 downs to make a traditional 10yds, offenses will have more of a chance to sustain drives. Less than three yds per play is a first down.

As for not delaying the game, if the application of penalties are streamlined, there may be no delay for punts. It can be a very boring play with fair catches or OOB kicks. A no fair catch rule and penalty for OOB kick might help as well as a CFL style halo for the returner.

Your D2 team probably has a specialized punter, long snapper, and returner. With a 40 man XFL roster, that may not be the case. Also, many starters will likely have to cover the punt which could lead to sloppy play if the pace of play is quickened (may lead to exciting returns, though).

I agree, it can be done. The games at my D2 Alma mater are usually done in less than 3hrs. A lot of running and completed short passes keep the clock running. What the restarts (or non-stops) do, however, is reduce the number of plays run, though, a shorter play clock could make up for it. Halftime is long and that should be 10-12 minutes or the same as between 1st and 2nd, say 3-5 minutes in the XFL. My D2 is usually not on TV so there are no TV time-outs.

Soccer timing would be interesting if the time players are standing around while the clock is running, is reduced.

I personally wouldn't mind a 2.5 - 3hr game with all of the normal football features. Put commercials at the end of quarters or limit to 1 minute If that can be done and keep total non special plays at 120 or above, that would be great!

You may have read this article regarding punt/no punt in the NFL. Interesting.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1652 ... n-4th-down

Loogan
Kicker

Post by Loogan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Keep the punts and add a mandatory punt return.

XFL_FAN
Running Back

Post by XFL_FAN » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:25 pm

I think a mandatory punt return would create more injuries.
Not sure who I'm rooting for in the XFL but I'm really leaning towards the NY team 8-)

Sykotyk
Receiver

Post by Sykotyk » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:56 am

XFL_FAN wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:25 pm
I think a mandatory punt return would create more injuries.
CFL has mandatory punt returns. But they have a 5-yard halo around the ball UNTIL its touched by the return team. It can bounce as much as it wants. But the return team must touch it first.

There is one exception: A player who lines up BEHIND the yard line where the punt is kicked from IS EXEMPT from the halo rule. The ball is also LIVE for him, as well. However, he's lined up a good 10 yards behind the LOS, so it's harder to reach the return man.

Simple solution: 5 yard halo and return man must touch the ball to take over play. If the ball rolls to a stop, it's a free ball for anyone to recover.

XFL_FAN
Running Back

Post by XFL_FAN » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:09 am

I don't know, a five yard halo could be pretty subjective when you're talking about a 360 degree radius. In the new XFL it's all about simplifying the rules, not complicating them. #MFGA
Not sure who I'm rooting for in the XFL but I'm really leaning towards the NY team 8-)

Andibald
Running Back

Post by Andibald » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:41 pm

I like eliminating the punt or using something like the CFL.

Another idea would be a "virtual punt". It would eliminate the actual punt but If a team is backed up or doesn't want to give up field position, a virtual punt of 40yds could be used on 4th down. Maybe put a limit on the punt as to how close to the goal line it could go, maybe the 10 yard line. For example, if your are at the opponents 45yd line and want to punt, the ball would go to the 10 yd line. Could even make it the 15 or 20yd line to give more incentive to go for it. This could help to eliminate the injuries and penalties as well as save time for real football (sorry kickers :lol: ) while giving a team a chance to get out of their own red zone. Also, eliminating (or cutting back) special teams practice will, in theory, give more time to the offense and defense.

XFL_FAN
Running Back

Post by XFL_FAN » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:16 am

Andibald wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:41 pm
I like eliminating the punt or using something like the CFL.

Another idea would be a "virtual punt". It would eliminate the actual punt but If a team is backed up or doesn't want to give up field position, a virtual punt of 40yds could be used on 4th down. Maybe put a limit on the punt as to how close to the goal line it could go, maybe the 10 yard line. For example, if your are at the opponents 45yd line and want to punt, the ball would go to the 10 yd line. Could even make it the 15 or 20yd line to give more incentive to go for it. This could help to eliminate the injuries and penalties as well as save time for real football (sorry kickers :lol: ) while giving a team a chance to get out of their own red zone. Also, eliminating (or cutting back) special teams practice will, in theory, give more time to the offense and defense.
Interesting ideas we are coming up with here... 8-)

Airdale
Kicker

Distance scoring

Post by Airdale » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:49 pm

First post

Seriously, Field goals being worth 3,4, 5 pts based on distance
3 pts up to 50 yds
4 pts 51-59 yds
5 pts 60 + yds

How about a punt , kick off return or any score of over 80 yds being worth an extra bonus point for distance ? Nothing extravagant, just a solid 1 or 2 pts for 80+ yds

I liked the extra point value of the original XFL ( no kick )
1 pt from 2 yds out
2 pts from 5 yds out
3 pts from 10 yds
Last edited by Airdale on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Airdale
Kicker

Post by Airdale » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:08 pm

The original XFL was a very dangerous method of return.
just had a thought. Maybe the punt game should be totally changed.

The ball is kicked , nobody leaves the line of scrimmage until the ball leaves the foot .

What if the ball had to bounce before returning?
or if caught on the fly, that's a fair catch and where the ball will be spotted ( but honestly, no fair catches so... )