XFL denies Edmonton Eskimos permission to speak to Vipers' OC Jamie Elizondo about head coaching job.

XFL Football discussion.
SamTheRam28
Running Back

XFL denies Edmonton Eskimos permission to speak to Vipers' OC Jamie Elizondo about head coaching job.

Post by SamTheRam28 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:04 am

https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/stat ... 44133?s=19
The #XFL has denied permission for the #Eskimos to speak to Jamie Elizondo about their head cosching vacancy. I believe he would have been the favorite to land the job. Tough break for him after not being allowed to speak to #Riders before this past season. @CFLonTSN @CFL
St. Louis BattleHawks

XtremeFanForever
Quarterback

Re: XFL denies Edmonton Eskimos permission to speak to Vipers' OC Jamie Elizondo about head coaching job.

Post by XtremeFanForever » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:49 am

SamTheRam28 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:04 am
https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/stat ... 44133?s=19
The #XFL has denied permission for the #Eskimos to speak to Jamie Elizondo about their head cosching vacancy. I believe he would have been the favorite to land the job. Tough break for him after not being allowed to speak to #Riders before this past season. @CFLonTSN @CFL
If nothing else it seems like the league has done a great job getting the best people possible to help run things.
It's time to roar

RIP Xtreme; forever champions

steinerfhc
Running Back

Re: XFL denies Edmonton Eskimos permission to speak to Vipers' OC Jamie Elizondo about head coaching job.

Post by steinerfhc » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:55 am

We are so close to starting time and all the camps. They don't want last min coaching changes just months away of the season. Makes sense to put the foot down on these things.

LeoNY
Coach

Post by LeoNY » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:06 pm

This is surprising to me. If an offensive coordinator can be prevented from interviewing for a head coaching job. Does that shed new light on the whole Stoops speculation? Would the XFL be able to prevent any assistants from leaving? DC Defenders assistant coach Todd Washington left for a job with the Jets back in June.

Elizondo followed Trestman to Tampa. He left Ottawa as OC to join him.

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:11 pm

Getting conflicting info on this.

Back in the summer, agents for coaches in the XFL informed me that their clients would be able to leave XFL jobs for other opportunities. DC Defenders Offensive line assistant Todd Washington did just that in the summer when he left DC for a job with the New York Jets.

The early word that I have gotten is that Elizondo doesn’t want to leave his Tampa position for any CFL job. He left a very good job as OC of the Ottawa Redblacks for the Vipers position with Trestman.

So I am not so sure that there is any blocking involved here. Perhaps things have changed from the XFL’s perspective since the summer.

In an article, I wrote on this site earlier this year about the XFL’s potential hurdles before February. Losing coaches was one of them because we are approaching hiring season in the CFL, college football and the NFL.

When the XFL hired their coaches earlier this year. The NFL hiring and firing season was over. Same with college football programs. So they didn’t have to compete to hire or retain coaches.

Tank55
Coach

Post by Tank55 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:45 pm

Color me also surprised/skeptical. Did the Falcons give Arkansas permission to talk to Petrino? Seems like if they wanted to talk to him, they would just talk to him, they wouldn't go through the XFL office.