Karter Schult tweets about being denied entry into The XFL

XFL Football discussion.
User avatar
LeoNY
Coach
Posts: 782
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Karter Schult tweets about being denied entry into The XFL

Post by LeoNY » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:06 pm

https://twitter.com/KarterSchult/status ... 17377?s=20
81D36C17-CB51-4DE3-A5AB-AA10DB78678E.jpeg
81D36C17-CB51-4DE3-A5AB-AA10DB78678E.jpeg (248.33 KiB) Viewed 398 times

We will see what happens tomorrow but this is a puzzling situation. This can’t be an off the field or monetary issue. Schult wants to be in the XFL. Not sure if I would have tweeted this today. Maybe wait till after the supplemental draft but he’s obviously ticked off.

GDAWG
Coach
Posts: 633
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Re: Karter Schult tweets about being denied entry into The XFL

Post by GDAWG » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:26 pm

I would not be surprised if he heads North to Canada if he's not drafted tomorrow.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 1931
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: Karter Schult tweets about being denied entry into The XFL

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:28 pm

There are a lot of players upset that they haven’t been drafted into the XFL. You knew this would happen. It’s to be expected. A lot of players wisely want in. Over 1,000 players in the initial pool and only 560 of them drafted. There’s only eight teams in the league and by opening day. Rosters will go down to 416.

Karter Schult has a legit gripe. I am not so sure that I would go public with it but he should be in the league based on talent alone.

Schult does have AAF ties with teams in the league. With people like Randy Mueller, Daryl Johnston and Tony Softli as Directors of Player Personnel, among many others. So you would figure that one of those teams would draft him.

You’d hate to think that there any politics involved here. Either through an agent or otherwise. I can kind of get older players being undrafted but Karter is healthy and in his playing prime. It’s not like the league has shunned AAF players. Every team leaned heavily on scouting the Alliance and drafting their players. Just look at the rosters.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 1931
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: Karter Schult tweets about being denied entry into The XFL

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:30 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:26 pm
I would not be surprised if he heads North to Canada if he's not drafted tomorrow.
Not impossible. The CFL’s gain for sure. He would have to wait until late Spring of next year to start playing but unless an NFL team gives him a spot now or a futures contract. CFL may be the way to go.

User avatar
SamTheRam28
Running Back
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:16 pm

Re: Karter Schult tweets about being denied entry into The XFL

Post by SamTheRam28 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:31 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:28 pm
There are a lot of players upset that they haven’t been drafted into the XFL. You knew this would happen. It’s to be expected. A lot of players wisely want in. Over 1,000 players in the initial pool and only 560 of them drafted. There’s only eight teams in the league and by opening day. Rosters will go down to 416.

Karter Schult has a legit gripe. I am not so sure that I would go public with it but he should be in the league based on talent alone.

Schult does have AAF ties with teams in the league. With people like Randy Mueller, Daryl Johnston and Tony Softli as Directors of Player Personnel, among many others. So you would figure that one of those teams would draft him.

You’d hate to think that there any politics involved here. Either through an agent or otherwise. I can kind of get older players being undrafted but Karter is healthy and in his playing prime. It’s not like the league has shunned AAF players. Every team leaned heavily on scouting the Alliance and drafting their players. Just look at the rosters.
Yeah, there has to be something we don't know about. There is no way they aren't letting him in the league for no reason. He clearly has the talent, and teams want him. There's got to be something behind the scenes.
St. Louis BattleHawks

MarkNelson
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:09 pm

Re: Karter Schult tweets about being denied entry into The XFL

Post by MarkNelson » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:27 pm

Maybe his agent wanted a certain amount of money, and the league would not budge. That would setup a scenario where coaches and GMs wanted him, but the league couldn't say yes.

MGB01
Quarterback
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Re: Karter Schult tweets about being denied entry into The XFL

Post by MGB01 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:48 pm

MarkNelson wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:27 pm
Maybe his agent wanted a certain amount of money, and the league would not budge. That would setup a scenario where coaches and GMs wanted him, but the league couldn't say yes.
There could be something to that. Look at Seattle, is Germain Ifedi's brother really that much more worthy of a roster spot? Granted every DE they have on the roster currently is the same as Schult build-wise, and Shane Bowman could be the best interior pass rusher in the league, but that shouldn't be a hindrance to loading up and sort it all out in January.

Then again I don't know that his agent would be in any position to go there.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 1931
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: Karter Schult tweets about being denied entry into The XFL

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:17 pm

MarkNelson wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:27 pm
Maybe his agent wanted a certain amount of money, and the league would not budge. That would setup a scenario where coaches and GMs wanted him, but the league couldn't say yes.
At this point. Karter Schult and his agent should be aware of what the XFL will be paying. The average player is going to make 55k. In his tweet, Schult mentions “signing” but there are no player signings minus the tier one quarterbacks. Everyone else thus far is coming in through the draft process. If Schult wants special treatment. He’s not going to get it.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 1931
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: Karter Schult tweets about being denied entry into The XFL

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:30 pm

MGB01 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:48 pm
MarkNelson wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:27 pm
Maybe his agent wanted a certain amount of money, and the league would not budge. That would setup a scenario where coaches and GMs wanted him, but the league couldn't say yes.
There could be something to that. Look at Seattle, is Germain Ifedi's brother really that much more worthy of a roster spot? Granted every DE they have on the roster currently is the same as Schult build-wise, and Shane Bowman could be the best interior pass rusher in the league, but that shouldn't be a hindrance to loading up and sort it all out in January.

Then again I don't know that his agent would be in any position to go there.
Hate to compare players but Martin Ifedi is a different type of player than Karter Schult. Ifedi is a 275 pound DE who is strong at the point of attack. He’s more of a run stopper who can play DT or DE. He can play end in the 3-4 or 4-3, and even slide inside to DT in the 4-3. Ifedi certainly doesn’t have Karter’s pass rush skills but he was the all time Memphis leader in sacks when he was in college. Long armed guy who has had knee issues since college. That’s why he ended up as a 7th round pick in the NFL.

Schult is a 250 plus pound edge defender/pass rusher. He was a big time pass rusher in the FCS. He was graded really well for his pass rushing skills by Pro Football Focus in the AAF for Salt Lake, but he did have an issue missing tackles and he didn’t grade as well against the run. You could play him as a 4-3 defensive end on passing downs or as an 3-4 Edge rusher at OLB. There’s questions as to how good or disciplined he can be setting the edge against the run.

I personally would rather have Schult because pass rushers are the most important position on defense in my opinion but some coaches like having players they feel they can rely on in the run and pass game.

Unfortunately Karter Schult hasn’t stuck in the NFL because he is seen as a one trick pony. An undersized pass rusher who can’t play all three downs and is not a good contributor on special teams. That latter area is what keeps you on NFL rosters.

GregParks
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue May 28, 2019 8:09 pm

Re: Karter Schult tweets about being denied entry into The XFL

Post by GregParks » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:58 pm

This certainly does feel like a strange situation, especially considering players with lesser credentials have gotten into the draft pool. There's obviously an angle that we're all missing here.
@gregmparks

Post Reply