ESPN article on the XFL draft and the supplemental draft

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Coach

ESPN article on the XFL draft and the supplemental draft

Post by LeoNY » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:26 pm

https://twitter.com/SeifertESPN/status/ ... 95840?s=20

I am really surprised that the XFL hasn’t really made that big of a deal about Friday’s supplemental draft. No details really about it or any real hype towards it. There really isn’t anything substantial in this article in terms of news. It’s a decent read but nothing that really stands out.

Sounder
Quarterback

Re: ESPN article on the XFL draft and the supplemental draft

Post by Sounder » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:19 pm

I think the worst time to have it is now. It should be in January.....right before camps open in Houston and when you might have a better view of what's available. And all it's for is to fill in spots so who can really get amped about that?

LeoNY
Coach

Post by LeoNY » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:34 pm

Sounder wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:19 pm
I think the worst time to have it is now. It should be in January.....right before camps open in Houston and when you might have a better view of what's available. And all it's for is to fill in spots so who can really get amped about that?
The whole point of the supplemental draft is to fill rosters to 71 for Mini-camp. Which starts in two weeks in December 4th. It’s not exciting but necessary. You have 20 XFL Draft picks from October now on NFL rosters.

MGB01
Quarterback

Post by MGB01 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:13 pm

LeoNY wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:26 pm

I am really surprised that the XFL hasn’t really made that big of a deal about Friday’s supplemental draft. No details really about it or any real hype towards it. There really isn’t anything substantial in this article in terms of news. It’s a decent read but nothing that really stands out.
Other than this
that at least one drafted player, defensive end Corey Vereen, decided to stay in his current job (software developer) rather than play

Software developers make pretty good money at last check, so no wonder he decided not to play. That and had the AAF not fumbled, he'd likely still be playing now.

Really lazy and leading "reporting" by Darren Rovell (the original tweet), proof that it isn't totally landmine-free.

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:36 pm

MGB01 wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:13 pm
LeoNY wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:26 pm

Other than this
that at least one drafted player, defensive end Corey Vereen, decided to stay in his current job (software developer) rather than play

Software developers make pretty good money at last check, so no wonder he decided not to play. That and had the AAF not fumbled, he'd likely still be playing now.

Really lazy and leading "reporting" by Darren Rovell (the original tweet), proof that it isn't totally landmine-free.
Not counting taxes but Vereen’s salary in the AAF ended up being a little over 50k. Only 8 games played. Not factoring in any other costs.

If Vereen wants to be a software developer instead of playing pro football. More power to him. Here’s the thing. Your window for being a pro football player is very short. You are lucky if you can still play professionally in your late 20’s/ early 30’s. Last I checked, the average software developers career is not under 4 years. You can still do it when you are in your 40’s, 50’s and 60’s.