Los Angeles Wildcats to hold minicamp 12/4-12/19 at UNLV

XFL Football discussion.
LeoNY
Coach

Los Angeles Wildcats to hold minicamp 12/4-12/19 at UNLV

Post by LeoNY » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:39 am

http://news3lv.com/sports/content/los-a ... -las-vegas

Yesterday. I read on this board that New York will be holding their minicamp at Superdome Sports facility in Waldwick, N.J.

Interesting choice of Vegas for the Wildcats. The place where I am hoping the XFL Championship is played.

XtremeFanForever
Quarterback

Re: Los Angeles Wildcats to hold minicamp 12/4-12/19 at UNLV

Post by XtremeFanForever » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:33 pm

Wonder if they're testing the waters for Vegas as an XFL market.

Great, I've waited 19 years for the Xtreme to return and now the league is going to force me into a fan identity crisis.

I'll do my best to rub some elbows when I visit.
It's time to roar

RIP Xtreme; forever champions

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:41 pm

XtremeFanForever wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:33 pm
Wonder if they're testing the waters for Vegas as an XFL market.

Great, I've waited 19 years for the Xtreme to return and now the league is going to force me into a fan identity crisis.

I'll do my best to rub some elbows when I visit.
Listening to league officials. It sounds like fans are going to be allowed great access to these minicamps.

You never know what the league has planned with Vegas down the road. It could host camps or a championship game. It could be a future team site depending on the location of a stadium. For now, it sounds cool going out to UNLV to watch the Wildcats practice. Winston Moss is a terrific guy. If i was out in Vegas, I would definitely go to the mini camp.

LeoNY
Coach

Post by LeoNY » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:47 pm

The Las Vegas Wildcats. Hopefully it never comes to that but I know some people think that LA was a bad choice.

XtremeFanForever
Quarterback

Post by XtremeFanForever » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:52 pm

LeoNY wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:47 pm
The Las Vegas Wildcats. Hopefully it never comes to that but I know some people think that LA was a bad choice.
LA's fan base has been slow to grow, but I'm hoping the TV market will be the saving grace.

But a Vegas team would be awesome.
It's time to roar

Tank55
Coach

Post by Tank55 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:57 pm

Wow, I'm really surprised. The more in-market exposure these teams can get, the better. Are things so bad in LA that they'd consider pulling the plug already? If not, seems like an unnecessary mistake.

GDAWG
Coach

Post by GDAWG » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:39 pm

XtremeFanForever wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:52 pm
LeoNY wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:47 pm
LA's fan base has been slow to grow, but I'm hoping the TV market will be the saving grace.

But a Vegas team would be awesome.
Las Vegas is like Chicago, a market that has never proven it can support non-NFL football (I do think that Las Vegas will support the Raiders). So it never makes any sense to me why Vegas and Chicago (especially Chicago) are considered as future expansion for the XFL. Neither market has proven it can support non-NFL pro football, so what has changed? Why would the XFL returning to those two cities be any different than the last time?

XtremeFanForever
Quarterback

Post by XtremeFanForever » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:59 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:57 pm
Wow, I'm really surprised. The more in-market exposure these teams can get, the better. Are things so bad in LA that they'd consider pulling the plug already? If not, seems like an unnecessary mistake.
Perhaps it's neither. Maybe they see some limitations in the market so they're trying to reach as many fans in the southwest as possible to supplement it.

Like I said, I think the TV market will be the saving grace. Unless the team has damn near zero support I think they'll stay in LA.
It's time to roar

Sounder
Quarterback

Post by Sounder » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:17 pm

I thought the entire reason for the selection of large markets was specifically for tv. Otherwise I would go to San Diego over L.A. which already doesn't really support two NFL teams.

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:34 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:57 pm
I am surprised too. I think it could be a logistical, scheduling or facility issue. The team headquarters might not be ready for mini-camp. There are also state laws that sometimes can be tricky. Some states are not great in terms of workman's comp. It doesn't protect the player if he gets hurt.

From what I was told, The Wildcats will definitely be training and practicing in LA once the league-wide training camp in Houston ends on the 22nd. The rumored practice location for the Wildcats facilities is Long Beach City College.