Tier 1 Quarterback Question

XFL Football discussion.
BPiccolo41
Kicker
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:59 am
Location: Chicago

Tier 1 Quarterback Question

Post by BPiccolo41 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:17 pm

Is it possible that the XFL will release the names of every available quarterback and then remove the names of assigned or tier 1 quarterbacks from the list prior to the draft?

For example, Conner Cook could still be an assigned or tier one quarterback.

triplecrown41
Linebacker
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:32 am

Re: Tier 1 Quarterback Question

Post by triplecrown41 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:23 pm

BPiccolo41 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:17 pm
Is it possible that the XFL will release the names of every available quarterback and then remove the names of assigned or tier 1 quarterbacks from the list prior to the draft?

For example, Conner Cook could still be an assigned or tier one quarterback.
I was thinking the exact same thing today when I saw Eric Dungey and Zach Mettenberger on the list today. Id expect 10-12 more QB's named tomorrow/Friday.

GDAWG
Coach
Posts: 541
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

Re: Tier 1 Quarterback Question

Post by GDAWG » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:49 pm

I will be surprised if names like Matt Cassel, Brandon Weeden or Brock Osweiler are announced for tomorrow and Friday. Cassel and Weeden are closer to retirement age and the XFL seems to be beneath Osweiler. The last thing I want from the XFL is a place where failed NFL starters (as those three and Landry Jones have been) come to play. I could see Tom Savage as someone who would be in the XFL, same with Josh Johnson.

This is the list of free agents available:

https://nfltraderumors.co/2019-nfl-free-agents-list/

Xtremedb3
Receiver
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Re: Tier 1 Quarterback Question

Post by Xtremedb3 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:20 pm

I'm sure tier 1 QBS will not be on the list at all... also thinking they'll drop the QB names Monday the day before the draft.

youngorst
Quarterback
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:41 pm

Re: Tier 1 Quarterback Question

Post by youngorst » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:58 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:49 pm
I will be surprised if names like Matt Cassel, Brandon Weeden or Brock Osweiler are announced for tomorrow and Friday. Cassel and Weeden are closer to retirement age and the XFL seems to be beneath Osweiler. The last thing I want from the XFL is a place where failed NFL starters (as those three and Landry Jones have been) come to play. I could see Tom Savage as someone who would be in the XFL, same with Josh Johnson.

This is the list of free agents available:

https://nfltraderumors.co/2019-nfl-free-agents-list/
So just to be clear, you'd prefer guys who were never even good enough to start in the NFL over guys were were good enough to get starts in the NFL but just not good enough to remain a starter?

Can't say I agree but okay.

Personally, I want the best QBs possible and most of those will probably be failed NFL starters.

Unless of course the plan is to make the game so different from the NFL that similar skills aren't needed at QB but I doubt that happens.

User avatar
LeoNY
Quarterback
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Re: Tier 1 Quarterback Question

Post by LeoNY » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:07 pm

Getting experienced quarterbacks with starting pro experience is a great thing for the league and the quality of it’s play.

This is not a developmental league. Young players and young vets will be developed by default just by getting playing time.

There might be an exception here and there with a Tyree Jackson or an Eric Dungey but having veteran quarterbacks is a good thing. Even young veterans with starting experience. That could mean the likes of Brandon Silvers or Luis Perez.

Who knows who the starting eight quarterbacks end up being in the XFL but nothing wrong with a Kevin Hogan, Josh Johnson, Brock Osweiler, Cardale Jones, Sam Bradford, Landry Jones, Johnny Manziel or even a Brandon Weeden being penciled in as starters. It doesn’t mean that they will all end up leading teams but it’s a good thing to have accomplished veterans.

MGB01
Running Back
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Re: Tier 1 Quarterback Question

Post by MGB01 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:51 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:49 pm
I will be surprised if names like Matt Cassel, Brandon Weeden or Brock Osweiler are announced for tomorrow and Friday. Cassel and Weeden are closer to retirement age and the XFL seems to be beneath Osweiler. The last thing I want from the XFL is a place where failed NFL starters (as those three and Landry Jones have been) come to play. I could see Tom Savage as someone who would be in the XFL, same with Josh Johnson.

This is the list of free agents available:

https://nfltraderumors.co/2019-nfl-free-agents-list/
Landry Jones was a failed NFL starter? You do remember he was behind some guy named Roethlisberger right?

Oh and those three seasons he made starts, the Steelers still made the playoffs in each, couldn't have been that much of a failure

youngorst
Quarterback
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:41 pm

Re: Tier 1 Quarterback Question

Post by youngorst » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:53 am

MGB01 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:51 pm

Landry Jones was a failed NFL starter? You do remember he was behind some guy named Roethlisberger right?

Oh and those three seasons he made starts, the Steelers still made the playoffs in each, couldn't have been that much of a failure
No, he is a failed NFL starting QB. You do realize that if he was good enough to start in the NFL someone would have traded for him or signed him as a free agent.

Lots of NFL teams make the playoffs in seasons where a back up starts. They are still back ups.

User avatar
LeoNY
Quarterback
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Re: Tier 1 Quarterback Question

Post by LeoNY » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:55 am

Failed NFL starter is definitely the mantra for anyone who is truly opposed to the XFL. You could use that for any player that ends up in the XFL. They can be labeled as not being good enough to get into or stay in the NFL. Ride that lazy one sided horse if you want to.

In the case of Landry Jones. Despite having a stellar college career. He was never positioned to be an NFL starter. He has been a career backup who has started some games. That’s different than say JaMarcus Russell, who truly “failed as a starter” Bottom line. Jones was good enough to be in the league and played well enough in spot duty to be on NFL rosters.

By that rationale. Kurt Warner, Tommy Maddox, Brad Johnson, Warren Moon, Doug Flutie, Jake Delhomme, Jon Kitna and others, were all failures before they succeeded in other pro football leagues.

MGB01
Running Back
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Re: Tier 1 Quarterback Question

Post by MGB01 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:29 pm

youngorst wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:53 am
MGB01 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:51 pm

Landry Jones was a failed NFL starter? You do remember he was behind some guy named Roethlisberger right?

Oh and those three seasons he made starts, the Steelers still made the playoffs in each, couldn't have been that much of a failure
No, he is a failed NFL starting QB. You do realize that if he was good enough to start in the NFL someone would have traded for him or signed him as a free agent.

Lots of NFL teams make the playoffs in seasons where a back up starts. They are still back ups.
You do realize you just tripped over yourself again but hey go for what you want.
So just to be clear, you'd prefer guys who were never even good enough to start in the NFL over guys were were good enough to get starts in the NFL but just not good enough to remain a starter
Both of which describe Jones according to you, meaning you should probably be chastising a poster for preferring Landry Jones to Landry Jones.

Should we be worried about losing your great and infinite wisdom for a congressional run next year?

Post Reply