ESPN covering the XFL draft next week

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

ESPN covering the XFL draft next week

Post by MikeMitchell » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:38 am

ESPN college football analyst and commentator Tom Luginbill will be covering the XFL Draft in Stamford for ESPN on October 15th and 16th. Luginbill will be covering The XFL Draft for Sportscenter on site. He will be reporting on all the draft moves.

Luginbill has strong ties to the original XFL. His father Al Luginbill was the Head Coach/General Manager for the LA Xtreme. Tom coached quarterbacks on that staff. Obviously they did great work resurrecting Tommy Maddox’s career and winning the league championship. If anyone knows the value that these types of leagues have for players. It’s Tom Luginbill. He’s been a player and a coach and he is a very good analyst. It’s great that he is going to be covering the draft.

I am not sure if ESPN’s coverage will extend deeper, like a recap show would have been nice but it’s a positive to have XFL updates on the big network.

LeoNY
Quarterback

Re: ESPN covering the XFL draft next week

Post by LeoNY » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:55 am

It’s good to have segments dedicated to the XFL draft. Rather than just a scroll listing player names. Luginbill fits the bill. For lack of a better term. He like a Joel Klatt has deep knowledge of the college game and all these players. So it’s ideal that someone like Luginbill can actually report on the players being drafted and give his take rather than just listing a name. Luginbill can actually break down a player like say a Tanner Mangum or a Taivon Jacobs.

XFL_FAN
Coach

Post by XFL_FAN » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:00 pm

A live draft show would be nice, even if it was just streamed on the ESPN site like the team name reveal was.
"LA Stands for Excellence" -Winston Moss

Let's Go Cats!

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:33 pm

XFL_FAN wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:00 pm
A live draft show would be nice, even if it was just streamed on the ESPN site like the team name reveal was.

It would be. This is going to be a time consuming draft.

By my math. With 90 seconds per pick and 80 picks per draft phase. 10 picks per team per phase. Each positional draft should take roughly up to 2 hours each.

Next week’s drafts on Tuesday should take up 6 hours. The skill, o line and front seven phase. 240 players drafted.

Day two of the draft. Different story. Phase 4 is another two hours but the final phase of an open draft will be pretty long. That will be a 6 hour process.

So all totaled by my math.

30 rounds, 8 picks per round. That’s 240 picks plus the 80 in the defensive backs draft. 320 picks in total. 90 seconds per pick.

6 hours of drafting on Tuesday. 8 hours of drafting on Wednesday. 14 hours of drafting over two days. 560 players drafted. 8 assignmed.

LeoNY
Quarterback

Post by LeoNY » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:37 pm

MikeMitchell wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:33 pm
XFL_FAN wrote:

By my math. With 90 seconds per pick and 80 picks per draft phase. 10 picks per team per phase. Each positional draft should take roughly up to 2 hours each.

Next week’s drafts on Tuesday should take up 6 hours. The skill, o line and front seven phase. 240 players drafted.

Day two of the draft. Different story. Phase 4 is another two hours but the final phase of an open draft will be pretty long. That will be a 6 hour process.

30 rounds, 8 picks per round. That’s 240 picks plus the 80 in the defensive backs draft. 320 picks in total. 90 seconds per pick.

6 hours of drafting on Tuesday. 8 hours of drafting on Wednesday. 14 hours of drafting over two days. 560 players drafted. 8 assignmed.
Greg Parks is going to have call out sick from work. Just like he did during the original XFL draft. Which he revealed on the XFL Xtra podcast.

GregParks
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:17 pm

LeoNY wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:37 pm
MikeMitchell wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:33 pm
XFL_FAN wrote:

Greg Parks is going to have call out sick from work. Just like he did during the original XFL draft. Which he revealed on the XFL Xtra podcast.
Eh, the quarter ends next week so I feel like I should be around for that. Besides, it's a lot more of a hassle to lesson plan for a sub and get the kids ready for that (and hope they behave for the sub) than it's worth.

I was hoping Luginbill would be involved in the XFL coverage of ESPN in some fashion not only because of his ties to the original league, but because of his knowledge. I really don't think we'll get any type of extravagant coverage of this anywhere - given the video conference nature of the picks, according to the league, they could always air that. Or just the audio, as MLB.com does for the latter stages of their draft.
@gregmparks

MGB01
Running Back

Post by MGB01 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:09 am

I'd have liked ESPN to do a couple rounds/phases just for the historical nod (boy Luck seems to be all about these): when ESPN televised their first NFL Draft, it was on a Tuesday/Wednesday April 29-30, 1980.

Having said that, with this many picks you'd like to get moving. Drafts can often miss when they get to be long and laborious.