Receiver

Securing our QBs

Post by Xtremedb3 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:26 pm

I think XFLs best move is to lock up at least 4 tier 1 QBs asap

1. Landry Jones
2. Ryan Mallett
3. Johnny Manziel
4. Brandon Silvers

I think these 4 above could be your low end tier 1 QBs which allows you to make a move to compete with potential Practice squad options that open up ... for ex already losing out on Cardale Jones. Week 1 already has a QB going down which means they will need to pick up another.

Spend more of the top dollar tier one on the other 4.

Paxton Lynch
JT Barrett
Devlin Hodges
Tyree Jackson

Lock them in asap.

youngorst
Quarterback

Re: Securing our QBs

Post by youngorst » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:09 pm

Xtremedb3 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:26 pm

1. Landry Jones
2. Ryan Mallett
3. Johnny Manziel
4. Brandon Silvers

I think these 4 above could be your low end tier 1 QBs which allows you to make a move to compete with potential Practice squad options that open up ... for ex already losing out on Cardale Jones. Week 1 already has a QB going down which means they will need to pick up another.

Paxton Lynch
JT Barrett
Devlin Hodges
Tyree Jackson

Lock them in asap.
NFL practice squad checks cash right now, any XFL money is months out.

I think the XFL is correct to be patient. Of course they should be in touch with guys they like and should be actively recruiting any free agents but giving Silvers Tier 1 money doesn't make much sense to me.

I am hoping the XFL is re-thinking their Tier 1 strategy altogether. Find 8 "names" that coaches want regardless of position.

What if Seattle would rather re-unite Mike Riley with Quiz Rodgers (Resume: 8 year NFL career, over 2000 rushing yards, and over 200 receptions) and who is a "known" name in PAC country and use tier 2 money for a QB? I don't get why the XFL wouldn't go along with such a plan.

I feel like Tier 1 when announced was "most of these will likely be QBs" to "QBs are Tier 1" and I'd prefer the latter. Each team needs a couple "names"

GDAWG
Coach

Post by GDAWG » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:15 pm

Xtremedb3 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:26 pm

1. Landry Jones
2. Ryan Mallett
3. Johnny Manziel
4. Brandon Silvers

Paxton Lynch
JT Barrett
Devlin Hodges
Tyree Jackson

Lock them in asap.
One of these guys could be of interest to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Xtremedb3
Receiver

Post by Xtremedb3 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:40 am

youngorst wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:09 pm
[quote=Xtremedb3 post_id=8352 time=<a href="tel:1567985175">1567985175</a> user_id=1935]

1. Landry Jones
2. Ryan Mallett
3. Johnny Manziel
4. Brandon Silvers

Paxton Lynch
JT Barrett
Devlin Hodges
Tyree Jackson

Lock them in asap.
NFL practice squad checks cash right now, any XFL money is months out.

I think the XFL is correct to be patient. Of course they should be in touch with guys they like and should be actively recruiting any free agents but giving Silvers Tier 1 money doesn't make much sense to me.

I am hoping the XFL is re-thinking their Tier 1 strategy altogether. Find 8 "names" that coaches want regardless of position.

What if Seattle would rather re-unite Mike Riley with Quiz Rodgers (Resume: 8 year NFL career, over 2000 rushing yards, and over 200 receptions) and who is a "known" name in PAC country and use tier 2 money for a QB? I don't get why the XFL wouldn't go along with such a plan.

I feel like Tier 1 when announced was "most of these will likely be QBs" to "QBs are Tier 1" and I'd prefer the latter. Each team needs a couple "names"
[/quote]

Yeah but NFL are usually done with RBs quickly so tier one RB wouldn’t make too much sense ... as for it being too early I was going based off Luck saying he will be signing the tier one QBs in September.

If they opt in to practice squad now that would pretty much rule out the tier one QB spot for them.

GregParks
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:38 pm

The Steelers traded Josh Dobbs to the Jags today and signed Devlin Hodges.
@gregmparks

LeoNY
Quarterback

Post by LeoNY » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:58 pm

GregParks wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:38 pm
The Steelers traded Josh Dobbs to the Jags today and signed Devlin Hodges.
That sucks. He is going to be special. The XFL missed out. Not the league’s fault. I am sure that he wouldn’t have been deemed worthy here if he signed with the XFL as a top tier QB but since he is now back in the XFL. The haters will pretend that he is too good for the XFL.

youngorst
Quarterback

Post by youngorst » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:38 pm

LeoNY wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:58 pm
That sucks. He is going to be special. The XFL missed out. Not the league’s fault. I am sure that he wouldn’t have been deemed worthy here if he signed with the XFL as a top tier QB but since he is now back in the XFL. The haters will pretend that he is too good for the XFL.
Bad comparison. Silvers is NOT tier 1 worthy because he has been a "pro" QB for 2 years now and has never even been invited to an NFL training camp. Silvers either has no interest in the CFL or the CFL has no interest in him. The XFL would be bidding against themselves for Silvers. When bidding against yourself you rarely offer top dollar.

Devlin on the other hand is a rookie that NFL teams have demonstrated serious (and sustained) interest in. It makes sense to offer him tier 1 money because you are competing with an NFL team for his services. The NFL has no interest in Silvers so why waste one of only eight tier 1 contracts on a guy whose only real option is the XFL?

It is about being smart in the use of your resources as a league living within a budget. Only pay players what you must pay them to get them to the XFL, with Silvers that is likely tier 3 money at best.

Xtremedb3
Receiver

Post by Xtremedb3 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:03 am

You is really trippin bout tier 1 QBs smh not all 8 QBs going to get the ceiling of tier one money ... the QB is the most important position in a league like this and you can’t just think short term

youngorst
Quarterback

Post by youngorst » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:34 am

Xtremedb3 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:03 am
You is really trippin bout tier 1 QBs smh not all 8 QBs going to get the ceiling of tier one money ... the QB is the most important position in a league like this and you can’t just think short term
In business paying someone more than is required to convince them to take the job is a nice thing to do but it’s also quite foolish when only 8 such jobs exist.

It’s a simple question, why pay Silvers $250,000 (reported minimum tier 1 salary) when no other football team on the planet is offering him anything.

To be nice?
Because he is a QB?

Both are bad reasons when that money could easily be used more wisely.

And I am thinking long term. Short term thinking is what leads to “all 8 starting QBs must be tier 1 signings” when some of those 8 (Silvers for instance) can definitely be had for far less money.

I’ll just put my money where my mouth is, I bet at least 2 XFL starting QBs will not be tier 1 signings. Luck is too smart to bid against no one for guys like Silvers.

Xtremedb3
Receiver

Post by Xtremedb3 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:24 am

QB is the highest position ranking .. just like majority of employment ranking .. it’s the position / job title that pays more