Tate Martell?

XFL Football discussion.
Post Reply
User avatar
johnnyangryfuzzball
Running Back
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:22 pm

Tate Martell?

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:35 pm

There's been talk about bringing in college players not yet eligible for the NFL but that the XFL is considering that only on a case-by-case basis. Well, it looks like we may have a (purely speculative) case: Tate Martell.

Martell was at Ohio State last year. He was second string; he played a few games and was pretty good, anticipating being a starter this year—but then Ohio State picked up Georgia's backup, Justin Fields, and made him starter. So he transferred to Miami. Well, now word out of Miami is that Martell is getting passed up as starter for a freshman, Jarren Williams.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1160948943619907584

So we have a situation where there's a player who's not quite eligible to jump to the NFL (especially this late in the process) but isn't going to get the play he needs in college ball. This might be the perfect example of the kind of situation that the XFL might consider. It'd give Martell the opportunity to play at the professional level.

Would it be worth it, or do Ohio State and Miami know what they're talking about when they say he's not starting material even at the college level?

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 1533
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: Tate Martell?

Post by MikeMitchell » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:54 pm

johnnyangryfuzzball wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:35 pm
There's been talk about bringing in college players not yet eligible for the NFL but that the XFL is considering that only on a case-by-case basis. Well, it looks like we may have a (purely speculative) case: Tate Martell.

Martell was at Ohio State last year. He was second string; he played a few games and was pretty good, anticipating being a starter this year—but then Ohio State picked up Georgia's backup, Justin Fields, and made him starter. So he transferred to Miami. Well, now word out of Miami is that Martell is getting passed up as starter for a freshman, Jarren Williams.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1160948943619907584

So we have a situation where there's a player who's not quite eligible to jump to the NFL (especially this late in the process) but isn't going to get the play he needs in college ball. This might be the perfect example of the kind of situation that the XFL might consider. It'd give Martell the opportunity to play at the professional level.

Would it be worth it, or do Ohio State and Miami know what they're talking about when they say he's not starting material even at the college level?
It's not a bad thought Johnny. Martell is a five star recruit, who has had a unique journey to say the least. I would consider it if I were him. He will probably ride out the season, see where it takes him and then go from there.

Tate Martell's body of work thus far doesn't really put him in that top tier category in terms of getting paid 250k plus per season in the XFL. The talent is there for sure but it's untapped and untested. At 5'11 and only 200 pounds. Martell is certainly not the prototypical NFL quarterback, even though recent players like Mayfield and Murray are pushing against that. Coupled with Drew Brees all world success. I would consider it if I were Tate. Especially if he rides the bench all season. Why not go Pro?

LeoNY
Quarterback
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Re: Tate Martell?

Post by LeoNY » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:19 pm

Not a bad idea. It’s worth exploring.

I wonder what avenues these types of players and the XFL take in communicating with each other.

With pro players or pro free agents. It’s all about agents reaching out to the league reps or the other way around.

With college players. What’s the protocol? Who contacts someone like Tate Martell? or How does Tate Martell go about contacting the league? Sending feelers so to speak.

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 1533
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: Tate Martell?

Post by MikeMitchell » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:45 pm

LeoNY wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:19 pm
Not a bad idea. It’s worth exploring.

I wonder what avenues these types of players and the XFL take in communicating with each other.

With pro players or pro free agents. It’s all about agents reaching out to the league reps or the other way around.

With college players. What’s the protocol? Who contacts someone like Tate Martell? or How does Tate Martell go about contacting the league? Sending feelers so to speak.
It's a good question. How aggressive will the XFL be in this area? Do they wait for players to come to them or do they use the network of coaches and players to reach out to players that they like. It's tricky because college players and agents are really not supposed to go into business with each other. A college player can talk to an agent but he can't hire them. Most of the dealings are through middle men and kept very hush hush. Sometimes the trick is if a teammate graduates and becomes an NFL player. You communicate with that player and get messages from their agent, who may already be line to be your future agent.

User avatar
Tank55
Quarterback
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Re: Tate Martell?

Post by Tank55 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:40 pm

If he can't win a college job, I don't see why we should think he can compete for a pro job. I don't know if anyone else saw the QB1: Beyond the Lights series, but he came across as extremely immature compared to the other guys featured.

It wouldn't bother me if the league signs him. Anyone jumping would be helpful, just to prove it can be done. But I wouldn't want XFL DC to give him a Tier I contract (or even Tier II or III, to be honest).

User avatar
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent
Posts: 1533
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Re: Tate Martell?

Post by MikeMitchell » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:24 pm

Tank55 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:40 pm
If he can't win a college job, I don't see why we should think he can compete for a pro job. I don't know if anyone else saw the QB1: Beyond the Lights series, but he came across as extremely immature compared to the other guys featured.

It wouldn't bother me if the league signs him. Anyone jumping would be helpful, just to prove it can be done. But I wouldn't want XFL DC to give him a Tier I contract (or even Tier II or III, to be honest).
I agree. Martell is tier III at best.

MGB01
Receiver
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Re: Tate Martell?

Post by MGB01 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:54 pm

Pass, six words come to mind: Cardale WE AIN'T PLAY SCHOOL Jones. As I brought up in another post, I'd be more interested in Gage Gubrud if I was going that route

Post Reply