Replay

XFL Football discussion.
GregParks
XFLBoard Correspondent

Replay

Post by GregParks » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:50 pm

My plan was to post this topic this week thinking it would be a slow news week. Oh well.

What's everyone's take on what you'd like to see the XFL do for replay? I know Oliver Luck has said it will be "better" than the NFL's version, and I believe he's mentioned using the "eye in the sky" for replays. This could also be something that will be refined and tweaked as they continue ironing out the details of gameplay next month. Like we've seen with the draft, there may be nothing set in stone yet.

Personally, I'd be fine with no replay at all. With the league's desire to cut down on time spent on the game, replay is one of the top "things" that could get in the way of that if it's not handled correctly. There is a lot of downtime in NFL games due to replay.

The NFL has completely lost control of the replay system. Now this year, taking pass interference and allowing reviews for that, has made it worse. On one hand, replay has caused a lot of distress and bumps in the road for the NFL. On the other hand, controversy tends to create interest, and fans are ALWAYS talking about the replay system. I guess it depends on your view of the idea of "there's no such thing as bad press." Even if fans are complaining about replay or missed calls, they're still talking; is that a good thing? I don't know.
@gregmparks

Sounder
Quarterback

Re: Replay

Post by Sounder » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:32 pm

You want to keep games to two and a half to three hours...... here's a revolutionary idea that I don't think any millennial has ever seen before........no replay. Nothing creates more contorversy than a bad call that screws your team over.....and it isn't reviewed because there isn't any. That's one way to save time. Or we can do this.....no challenge system.....but officials can review a critical play inside the last two minutes of the half and of the game. Why do we keep finding new ways to not employ actual human beings by rendering them irrelevant due to technology? How long before Android football begins?

Tank55
Coach

Post by Tank55 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:05 pm

GregParks wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:50 pm
Personally, I'd be fine with no replay at all. With the league's desire to cut down on time spent on the game, replay is one of the top "things" that could get in the way of that if it's not handled correctly.
I think I agree. Is there a sport where it works well? The XFL would get to differentiate itself from the NFL and college in a non-gimmicky way; the game moves faster; we don't have to worry about loopholes in the catch rule; it's one less system for the XFL to worry about (and pay for); they get to present themselves as "throwback" in a way that doesn't encourage brain trauma; etc.. We'll still whine about the missed calls, but people whine about replay anyway.

Edit: The league seems very tech-focused, so I doubt they go down this path. I do think the XFL can and probably will improve on the current replay systems used in college, NFL, and the CFL. But dropping it all together is a good idea. Not to mention, there are ways of better supporting the referees with technology and from a box that don't include instant replay. There's room for both.

Double Edit: Great idea for a thread! I've been thinking about this a lot recently watching VAR muck up the Women's World Cup.

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:11 pm

There’s never going to be a perfect system. Human error will always be a factor. Every play and player interaction during a game is open to interpretation. You can throw a penalty on virtually every play if you wanted to.

Use technology to your advantage and keep it simple. Being better than the NFL right now is not too difficult. Kudos to Troy Aikman, who during an NFL broadcast last year, called out the league for making the refs up their penalty quota. Officials for a Tennessee game, were told that more holding calls needed to be made. So the game itself produced 4 separate phantom calls.

Having more officials helps and getting the big plays correct is extremely important. No system is perfect but the NFL is overthinking and over compensating for the NFC championship controversy. They should have simplified it and gone with something similar to the CFL. One replay challenge a game. Reserve it for the end of games.

The XFL needs to simplify their rules. Make them easy to interpret. Having an added official in the booth helps but the person in that position has to be at the top of his or her game. Use technology to speed up the process of officiating. Refs need to keep some of those flags in their pocket.

The AAF had a sky judge, who botched several calls. Go watch the Marcus Baugh touchdown for San Diego. Where he pulled a DeSean Jackson and clearly dropped the ball before crossing the goal line. The sky judge was mic’d up, and despite having multiple replays at his disposal, he still made the wrong call. The sky judge didn’t really need a pylon cam, but reportedly felt like he may have changed the call if he had one.

johnnyangryfuzzball
Quarterback

Post by johnnyangryfuzzball » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:10 pm

I wouldn't mind a no-instant-replay system.

But there is one thing I would like to see. If there's a screw-up big enough that it alters the outcome of the game... the league office needs to be able to strike that game from the record. The NFL refuses to do that, and thus bad calls and outright bias go without correction. Make it a system like the NCAA does with sanctions.

GregParks
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:01 am

Not to pile on the NFL here, but in addition to the new pass interference penalty, I also hate the idea of coach's challenges. It should not be up to the coaches to officiate the game for the referees. That shouldn't be part of their job, as they have enough on their plate (even if most now have challenge coaches that tell them WHEN to challenge). If you're going to review, I'd rather they do it like college than the NFL, where a ref in the booth buzzes in and is responsible for initiating a review rather than coaches.
@gregmparks

Shooter McGav1n
Receiver

Post by Shooter McGav1n » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:11 am

GregParks wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:01 am
Not to pile on the NFL here, but in addition to the new pass interference penalty, I also hate the idea of coach's challenges. It should not be up to the coaches to officiate the game for the referees. That shouldn't be part of their job, as they have enough on their plate (even if most now have challenge coaches that tell them WHEN to challenge). If you're going to review, I'd rather they do it like college than the NFL, where a ref in the booth buzzes in and is responsible for initiating a review rather than coaches.
I agree, no coach’s challenge, replay official upstairs to make the challenges, and make it quick.

Andibald
Coach

Post by Andibald » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:24 am

Sounder wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:32 pm
You want to keep games to two and a half to three hours...... here's a revolutionary idea that I don't think any millennial has ever seen before........no replay. Nothing creates more contorversy than a bad call that screws your team over.....and it isn't reviewed because there isn't any. That's one way to save time. Or we can do this.....no challenge system.....but officials can review a critical play inside the last two minutes of the half and of the game. Why do we keep finding new ways to not employ actual human beings by rendering them irrelevant due to technology? How long before Android football begins?
This is a great point and with the expected speed and flow of the reimagined game, there won't be much time for replays anyway.

I am a big fan of using replay to correct calls but haven't seen it done very well in the NFL. I think college does it best, as GregParks said.

One of the problems with missed/bad calls, is the officiating crew is seeing a different game than most of us. They are judged by their superiors and the fans by use of something they didn't have access to...TV. Ideally, each official would have a partner in the booth looking at generally the same part of the play. They could be in communication and make real time calls or near real time using a quick replay in the booth. This likely won't happen, so not showing the fans any or very limited replays may help but likely won't happen either. One sky judge is likely as close as we will get.

Another problem the NFL has, as has been mentioned, is the complicated rule book. Simplifying that would reduce the need for replay reviews. Some radical ideas that can help but won't be used: Allow more holding (not tackling) by rule. By rule, allow more contact while the ball is in the air. Eliminate the forward pass...many problems are related to the pass, pass blocking, and the catch, also, cuts down on unprotected players. Eliminate hard helmets to reduce spearing and targeting questions. Eliminate all kicking for both safety and less possible penalties or missed penalties.

In summary, we should be happy with whatever replay system we get, if any, and that Andibald is not the Commissioner :)

Firecop
Quarterback

Post by Firecop » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:12 pm

I really like the idea of eliminating replays, it will leave something's up to interpretation but keep the human factor in that seemed to succeed for so many years. We don't need/ want machines calling balls and strikes and we can go with another ref or two and no replays.
Direct from the Dragon's Lair