The XFL makes their Spring League final game testing official

XFL Football discussion.
MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

The XFL makes their Spring League final game testing official

Post by MikeMitchell » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:42 pm

https://twitter.com/XFL2kcom/status/1138856409347612672
Stamford, Conn., June 12, 2019 – The XFL today announced that it will again partner with The Spring League, an elite professional football development league, to scout talent, test potential rule adjustments, and experiment with potential in-game technologies it as prepares for kick-off in February 2020.
The Spring League (TSL) will take the field with the XFL this summer to conduct two four-day scouting events in Southern California, the first of which will take place June 17-20 at Mission Viejo High School. The second will run July 28-31 at a location to be announced soon.
We had a discussion about this here on the board about a month ago. The league's final phase of testing was announced by Oliver Luck in a radio interview back in May. These are updated details on exactly what they will be doing. It's also an additional way for players to perform in front of the league.

The first 4 day scouting event, takes place in between The XFL's Showcases. Right before the LA showcase on the 21st and the Seattle showcase on the 22nd. The last event in late July, will be the final phase of game rule testing. The XFL's last Showcase is on July 13th in Missouri. So a two week period, before the final game testing. This probably means that official game rules won't come till August.
These events provide players with opportunities to display their ability in front of XFL head coaches and their staffs, and other professional football scouts. At the same time, TSL coaches will work closely with the XFL football operations team to test on-field and rules adjustments the league has developed and may adopt when it launches next year.
“We’re in an important phase of our development and The Spring League gives us the perfect platform to continue our effort to reimagine the game,” said Oliver Luck, XFL Commissioner & CEO. “We had a great experience and learned so much at The Spring League in April, and feel confident that after these next two sessions we’ll have identified a few XFL-caliber players and be closer to finalizing our rules and gameplay.”
“We are excited to be working with the XFL again and further demonstrate our value as both a platform for player development and incubator for rules testing,” said Brian Woods, CEO of The Spring League. “Our summer events will provide additional opportunities for players to be scouted by XFL coaches and scouts in advance of their 2020 launch.”

GDAWG
Coach

Re: The XFL makes their Spring League final game testing official

Post by GDAWG » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:49 pm

Hopefully by late July, we get at least the nicknames, logos and team colors, not necessarily the uniforms.

Also, will the Austin General return for the Spring League?

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:02 pm

GDAWG wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:49 pm
Hopefully by late July, we get at least the nicknames, logos and team colors, not necessarily the uniforms.

Also, will the Austin General return for the Spring League?
They are going to be in California for The Spring League. So I don’t know if Austin returns. There could be a California based team for the TSL Showcase starting in 5 days.

GregParks
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:52 pm

So I saw a Tweet from The Spring League today where former NFL VP of Officiating Dean Blandino was in California helping out with the application of XFL rules testing during game play:

https://twitter.com/TheSpringLeague/sta ... 6234686464

That'd be interesting in an of itself (though there's now a connection with Blandino working for FOX as an analyst and the XFL airing on that network), but someone in the replies mentioned a rumor that Blandino may be hired to work for the XFL. I imagine he could still keep his analyst role on FOX and actually provide more cogent analysis during XFL games if he were associated with the league, to help break down the new rules for viewers.
@gregmparks

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:51 am

GregParks wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:52 pm
So I saw a Tweet from The Spring League today where former NFL VP of Officiating Dean Blandino was in California helping out with the application of XFL rules testing during game play:

That'd be interesting in an of itself (though there's now a connection with Blandino working for FOX as an analyst and the XFL airing on that network), but someone in the replies mentioned a rumor that Blandino may be hired to work for the XFL. I imagine he could still keep his analyst role on FOX and actually provide more cogent analysis during XFL games if he were associated with the league, to help break down the new rules for viewers.
Back in February, I posted this here on the message board.
Dean Blandino to work with The XFL on officiating
Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Oliver Luck appeared on Dan Sileo’s radio show on 97.3 in San Diego.

Oliver announced during the conversation that former NFL VP of officiating Dean Blandino will be working with The XFL. An official title or name of the role wasn’t given. Blandino coincidentally or not currently works for Fox Sports.
Last edited by MikeMitchell on Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

GDAWG
Coach

Post by GDAWG » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:06 am

GregParks wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:52 pm

He probably will keep his job because of what the XFL (mainly Oliver Luck) has said about the NFL.

birdbug36
Rookie

Post by birdbug36 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:25 pm

How are the players selected to attend the Spring League? Is there a cost associated with it or is this by invitation only like the various showcases?

GregParks
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by GregParks » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:51 pm

Bah, I should've known Mike had this news first! :D
@gregmparks

MikeMitchell
XFLBoard Correspondent

Post by MikeMitchell » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:54 pm

GregParks wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:51 pm
Bah, I should've known Mike had this news first! :D
Thanks.

There are a few other things from back earlier this year, that we should find out about soon. The Julian Bailes story was written about here, long before he was announced as heading up The XFL's Health Advisory Committee.

Here's another tidbit from the past. Tom House, QB trainer and throwing coach, who runs the 3DQB academy in California, may be slated to work with the XFL.Oliver Luck mentioned way back when, that he was thinking of using House and 3DQB to help all of the XFL's quarterbacks. Tom House trains several pro quarterbacks, his most famous of course, being Tom Brady. House also helped Andrew Luck, recover his throwing motion, during his rehab. 3DQB uses Elite biomechanics training combined with motion analysis. They have a staff of trainers with sports backgrounds. Former pro QB's like John Beck. House himself, was a major league baseball pitcher. He came up with a technique to help throwers. NFL QB's swear by him. Players like Drew Brees and Matt Ryan etc

Tank55
Quarterback

Post by Tank55 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:23 pm

I remember that. I agree it's a great idea; I hope they follow through.